Electric water heater

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Gunna convert one of my kegs into a hot water tank for sparging with using the cheap kettle pictured in photo down bottom!

The kettle is $9 all i want is tge element abd cord and rubber gasket. Pretty cheap for a 2400w element eh?

My inspiration has come from "Gash Slug" hes got a how to video on youtube which i re visited recently to learn up on how to do it.

Sort of a tester and if it works well ill upsize into my 50lt keg but use two coils run off two different circuits.

Anyhow let me know what youse think. Cheerz :)
20180610_160359.jpg

20180610_162031.jpg

Last edited:
Electric kettles in North America are no more than 1800w iirc, but two adds up to 3600w which is still pretty good. I may have to to try this for myself.

That's definitely interesting for sure. It would pull just under 20a for those in North America.

I just used hot water tank heating element that I ordered from Amazon.

Ive ordered the hole bore from ebay 38mm i measured on this gasket. Ill keep youse filled in on how it goes. Itll run on our 10amp 240v circuits here 2400watt. See how it goes heating up sparge water out in brewery and go from their.
Im a dodgey bastard so be carful with electricity:)!

APPARENTLY i havt checked it out for myself but there is the "Bucket if Death" were people are running two kettle elements in a plastic bucket for the kettle interesting haha.

I want to build a heat stick to get my strike water heated in advance without drilling holes in the kettle but I'm not very good at it. It's more the plumbing aspect I'm confused by than the electrical. If I don't figure it out by fall I may just buy one.

Yeah, but you know... cheap.

Also, in Canada so I don't get killed on shipping/customs.

by the time you source all the parts its not that much cheaper

It's the Canada part that is the main issue.

I've looked at a couple but had trouble finding the listed parts. It's not a high priority so I haven't worried about it, but if I get serious I'll have to put more effort in.

Hey looking around at different Pids online to control boil mash ect ect and stumbled upon an all in one "Smart Pid" just broused the site and it looks as though this is what ill go for if going down the electric brew rig route. Anyone on here using something like this id live to hear your feed back check it out its pretty cool. Whatch the clip..
http://smartpid.com/

Looks the goods Ozarks and probably a bit cheaper too. 300 unit is similar to the smart paid where you can control multiple heating elements or pumps from one unit. I like the WIFI function on the smartpid too

if you are looking for a cheap-ish route, build a controller based off a 10,000w SCR.
It is what I did for my Still.

I will probably sell it as soon as I get my Wort Hog controller, because it does the same thing, and will not need to controllers

Update.

38mm hole bore showed up from china today so go busy makin holes and testing if i ordered right size to make snug fit with silicon or ring Yep!

I ended up just using current sparge pot for me sparge water heater more work cutting top off keg... i heated 5lt of water to mash out 75c in 7 minutes sweet!
Well i havnt fried meself yet:p so all good.
Now to incorporate this into me big pot.

Electric is cheeper right? We pay 23c/KWH here in QLD-Aus so 2400W / hr = around 50c per hour if me maths is near correct ? so must be cheaper than gas which is $20/9kg refill which i get roughly 4 brews outta so $5 / brew day in gas= 25 hrs on electric/brewo_O so elec is deffinetly cheeper:confused:. anyhow im confused cheers:).

Oh but if ive got two elementsthats roughly $1/hour right:D?

20180625_174306.jpg

20180625_174355.jpg

Disclaimer I AM NOT A Qualified Electrician!

Took you a few tries to get the drill started eh? ;)

Do you have or can you make a shield to go over the electrical connection?

Back