El Dorado / Sabro / Strata Combo for NEIPA

Brownyard

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Looking to do a Pina Colada-ish NEIPA, and figured the El Dorado for pineapple, and Sabro for cocounut might be a good combo. Also considering some Strata to add a little weedy dankness, but I wouldn't want to overpower the Pineapple/Coconut flavor. Ideas on ratios? Would probably use all in whirlpool and 7 day dry hop.

Last edited:
Wow and or Talus for that unique "am I tasting Coconut" thing.

I know nothing of Strata but when I think dank my mind goes to Chinook actually I've been thinking along the same lines of late.

My minds thinking tropical fruit vibe with some Dank piney undertones maybe Mosaic Eldorado and chinook with Chinook a mid boil (maybe only) and then flame out no Dry hop on the Chinook or Columbus even.
Beer for thought...

Your one I'd go the same except I'd delete the mid boil or even just do a 30min boil and FWH the Strata then go equal parts Whirlpooled then no Strata Dry hop just the Eldorado and Sabro.

Right there's my convoluted 2c

Looking to do a Pina Colada-ish NEIPA, and figured the El Dorado for pineapple, and Sabro for cocounut might be a good combo. Also considering some Strata to add a little weedy dankness, but I wouldn't want to overpower the Pineapple/Coconut flavor. Ideas on ratios? Would probably use all in whirlpool and 7 day dry hop.

i like what trialben said. I find columbus to be very dank, but be very careful with dank hops, they can really wash out the tropical flavors. I would consider tossing in some coconut flavoring and maybe a little lactose for the creamy/sweetness. I guess that would make it into more of a milkshake IPA but whatever. If you use coconut you might as well throw pinapple in there. Or hell why not just pinacolada mix!

I love sabro and eldorado. I personally dont get coconut out of sabro but i generally use it in conjunction with other fruity hops in Juicy IPAs.

Mid boil hops will yeild alot more bitterness then you might be looking for IMO. For Juicy ipas i generally dont put anything in before the 10-15 min mark.

I haven't used Sabro but use El Dorado in a Kviek SMaSH I brew in the summer. Great pineapple aroma and wonderful citrus flavors. Last time I made it a SMaTH and added BRU-1. My notes indicate a touch of dankness....maybe from the BRU-1?

Thanks guys. I'm not big on adding fruit, and wanted to see if I could get near with hops alone. I'm going to stick with the original hop combo. I think I'm going to try a 3-2-1 ratio of El Dorado - Sabro - Strata.

Thanks guys. I'm not big on adding fruit, and wanted to see if I could get near with hops alone. I'm going to stick with the original hop combo. I think I'm going to try a 3-2-1 ratio of El Dorado - Sabro - Strata.
Sweet! Great thinking.
Well all ya gotta do now is get brewing:)

Back