Efficiency seems wrong

105WestBrewing

Premium Member
Reaction score
We are a brewery and would like to migrate from Beersmith to this. I do not have confidence in the efficiency estimator. I put exact known recipes in and get a high OG by about 4 points. So I did a test. I set up the perfect mash tun with no loss and a simple recipe. 10 lbs German Pale, 5 gallon batch and 75% efficiency. If I run the math by hand and a potential extract of 1.038/lb of grain, I get 1.057 OG yet the software says 1.059. Here is the math
38 x 10 lbs x 75%= 285

285/5 gallons is 57 or 1.057

Anyone understand this?

are you using the defaults in general settings and Equipment profile looses? or have you put in the correct numbers and brewing efficiency

No, we put in the actual equipment settings. I even tried creating vastly different equipment to see if the OG changed. It did not. I really can not get past the math of it.

Pretty new here but what I found increases the accuracy was switching the batch destination to the kettle rather than the fermenter (based on info from an older post) now when I enter my known kettle boil off eff. My gravity came out dead on
Cheers

Back