effects of fermenting under pressure

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I saw a Brulosophy on this, after fermenting my last batch under pressure.
The end result of the exbeeriment was that even knowing what the variable was the guy who brewed the batches could not distinguish one beer from the other.
Except visually, the beer that was fermented under pressure was no where near as clear as the one that wasn't, in fact it was a bit on the hazy side.
My most recent brew has been cold crashing for about 5 days and has cleared up a bit, but does not have the clarity that I hoped for.
Truly, it doesn't matter as I am very happy with the beer.
My next brew though will be an ESB, and I want that one to be nice and clear.
Brew, learn, repeat!

I'd say brew another batch under pressure but not one of your more hop forward beers like the ESB will be perfect.

I've had pressure fermented lagers clear up as clear as non pressure fermented but I admit I've steered away from pressure fermentation except for the batch I got in the shed ATM @ 15psi lol I usually spund at end of fermentation these days.

I see it as the best from both worlds.

I'd say brew another batch under pressure but not one of your more hop forward beers like the ESB will be perfect.

I've had pressure fermented lagers clear up as clear as non pressure fermented but I admit I've steered away from pressure fermentation except for the batch I got in the shed ATM @ 15psi lol I usually spund at end of fermentation these days.

I see it as the best from both worlds.
I think I will spund the ESB.
I bought a Pill recently, want to figure out how to get that set up so I am spunding at the perfect time

I think I will spund the ESB.
I bought a Pill recently, want to figure out how to get that set up so I am spunding at the perfect time
Just make sure the pill is designed for pressure. One thing to have 2psi in a standard fermenter vs 15psi.

I ferment under pressure unless it’s winter. For ales though i spund last 10 points per my tilt. Clarity for my beers is no different whether I ferment under pressure or not. I like that my lagers are clean and I can make the In the summer.

I’ve been fermenting under pressure for 3-4 years. One thing I noticed was that English strains don’t do well under pressure.

Now I only ferment lagers under pressure, usually at typical lager temperatures. 7.5 PSI seems to work the best. I also spund toward the end and raise the pressure to 20-25 PSI.

I haven’t noticed the beer not clearing differently compared to 0 PSI. I wonder if it’s strain dependent.

I read that Belgian beers don't like pressure fermentation either

I thought pressure fermentation was mainly to ferment at higher temps, shorten the duration and carb the beer. I've so far done a few different styles this way with no noticeable effects.

I am seeing conflicting results.

This is where my reference to clarity came from
1703249997297.png

But then I see this as well where these is no difference in clarity...
https://brulosophy.com/2022/07/04/e...essurized-warm-fermentation-on-a-german-pils/
1703250154905.png

Back