Editing Old Recipe - Mash Strike Water Increased

AHarper

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
While editing an old recipe - to update grain bill with new priced Inventory entries I came across a problem (not a big one) with the Mash Water section that seems to ignore previous water entries and tries to start from scratch.

The problem stems from BLANK entries in the Grain Temperature box.
In the case where the old recipe did not have a value in the box and you go to edit the field a new Strike Water entry is created that duplicates the original Mash Infusion volume.
Example:
The Original OLD recipe is selected and EDIT mode entered.
upload_2020-7-5_3-7-14.png

Go to enter a Grain Temp value e.g. 20 degrees C then click in any other field.
upload_2020-7-5_3-9-28.png

Then a new Strike water entry is automatically created despite an Infusion entry already exists.
Strike water was already calculated in the original recipe and designated as Infusion.
Is this a result of later updates to the Mash Water calculations brought in AFTER the original recipe was made or is it a hard fault?
upload_2020-7-5_3-13-26.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-7-5_3-11-48.png
    upload_2020-7-5_3-11-48.png
    52 KB · Views: 126
I think this is from one of the updates that predates me so I'm not entirely sure.

But I think it's specifically looking for a "strike" step and ignores any infusion steps.

Separately, as part of a larger upcoming project/update to the mash guidelines section this will be fixed and we may be getting rid of some of the step types (do we need both strike and infusion? Do we need batch, fly, and "sparge"?)

In the meantime I'll put in a ticket for the function to only add a strike volume if it's missing a strike or infusion step already.

Last edited:
Strike and infusion are not the same. Strike is the first infusion, subsequent infusions can be used to raise the mash temperature.

Ill rename my Infusions to Strike and that may cure it.

I think this is from one of the updates that predates me so I'm not entirely sure.

But I think it's specifically looking for a "strike" step and ignores any infusion steps.

Separately, as part of a larger upcoming project/update to the mash guidelines section this will be fixed and we may be getting rid of some of the step types (do we need both strike and infusion? Do we need batch, fly, and "sparge"?)

In the meantime I'll put in a ticket for the function to only add a strike volume if it's missing a strike or infusion step already.

Yes Priceless (I must use your real name in future it's too easy to type Princess!!!!),

I tried loading an old recipe and changing the Infusion to Stike and then saving BEFORE typing something into the vacant Grain Temp box and, voila!!!, no new entry appears and other fields remain.

Now I know the cure this can be binned if there is going to be an update anyway. Thanks for your help.
Alan.

Strike and infusion are not the same. Strike is the first infusion, subsequent infusions can be used to raise the mash temperature.
Right, but a strike is a type of infusion.

Anytime you use strike, you could just as easily use infusion.

Do you think getting rid of strike would be more problematic? It's a minor thing, so it doesn't really matter either way as long as they can be used interchangeable or maybe "strike" is the only option for the first step.

@AHarper lol, you can use mark if that's easier.

Once we get closer to the mash project I'll post in announcement and beta testing subforum with more details.

Last edited:
Right, but a strike is a type of infusion.

Anytime you use strike, you could just as easily use infusion.

Do you think getting rid of strike would be more problematic? It's a minor thing, so it doesn't really matter either way as long as they can be used interchangeable or maybe "strike" is the only option for the first step.

@AHarper lol, you can use mark if that's easier.

Once we get closer to the mash project I'll post in announcement and beta testing subforum with more details.

Hi Mark.
Well it doesn't really matter to me what the actual term is - I know what I'm doing with it - by changing the Infusion entry (that is, as you say, the Strike water event it avoids the problem I mentioned earlier. I am infusing the mash at this initial stage, lautering the wort using a pump to circulate it, then dumping that to the kettle. Then I sparge with the remainder of the water. Two runnings, each SG'd, added to the kettle.
I don't do anything more complicated - yet! I am still getting to grips with perfecting what I do now - and I may never do that who knows?

I don't know what others do - I expect the same sort of thing - I don't have the time to do anything more fiddly and it's often difficult to keep in time anyway with all the other things to do - all at the same time. Take filling in the chart of Brew Steps for instance. I don't have the facility to do it on-line while I'm brewing so I use a print out and annotate that. Then comes the retrospective filling in when I'm back indoors. With the clock ticking all the time the entries are all out of cock with reality so they tend to get ignored but you still need the entries in the Brew Log - in time order!!!! Arghh!!!! Sometimes I wonder if it is all worth it. just to document it for myself - no one else is going to read it so why bother?

I think I need a beer now.... even though it is Sunday afternoon. Alan

Back