Duchesse De Bourgonge...just WOW!

Smitty27

Trial Member
Reaction score
I decide to try a couple new types of beer today and chose Gueze Fond Tradition and a Duchesse De Bourgogne. The gueuze is really good but is nothing like the Duchesse. I wish I could properly describe this beer and the only thing I can think of is WOW!

It reminds me of smelling a sweet red wine with lots of dark fruit, maybe plum or black cherry. The flavor is just amazing. I knew nothing of this beer before trying it and didn't except the flavors here. It doesn't really remind me of beer though, more of a sweet red wine with some awesome funk to it. Not sure what it is but really tasty.

If you can find it then you must try this.

http://www.brouwerijverhaeghe.be/en/products

Yeah, its going to take a long time to make something like this but I think I'm going to go for it. Its going to be a long wait but if I can make one every 3 months or so and try blending some of the old with the new I'll have a steady supply of some really great beer.

I just let my wife try this and I've finally found a beer she likes. She's tried all of my homebrew and most of the beer I buy but just doesn't like beer. This one she does like! So I've got to try it. This is what I think my first one will be. Its based off of Jamil's recipe.

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Flanders Red Ale
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.052
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.061
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 6.16%
IBU (tinseth): 10.29
SRM (morey): 15.99

FERMENTABLES:
4 lb - Belgian - Pilsner (30.5%)
4 lb - German - Vienna (30.5%)
3 lb - Belgian - Munich (22.9%)
8 oz - Belgian - Aromatic (3.8%)
8 oz - Belgian - CaraMunich (3.8%)
8 oz - Belgian - Special B (3.8%)
8 oz - Belgian - Wheat (3.8%)
1.5 oz - Belgian - Chocolate (0.7%)

HOPS:
1 oz - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 10.29

YEAST:
White Labs - California Ale Yeast WLP001
Secondary: wyeast 3763

Back