Dry Yeast

By the way, the end of that 1st keg tasted like a biscuit with blueberry jam—it was awesome. So I'm going to have to do it again and double the Blueberries & Honey! (maybe throw a little Victory and Blonde RoastOat in it too)

You won't catch me dumping though—I'll just drink faster!

That sounds pretty cool!

I have never used watermelon in beer before!

My next sour is gonna be apricot, strawberry, lime, and vanilla(to round off the flavor).
We made this 3 years ago with US-05 and only 2oz. of Huell Melon in the fermenter and melon flavoring too. We 'forgot about it' for a month, then racked it to another fermenter with the frozen and crushed watermelon. Then forgot about it again for 3 months. We thought it was a goner. But we kegged it anyway. The first keg was pretty good. We again 'forgot' about the other keg for a YEAR. Then we served it at a fest. It was, as one lass put it, "like liquid sunshine." I don't think this one will be to par, but we shall see...

We made this 3 years ago with US-05 and only 2oz. of Huell Melon in the fermenter and melon flavoring too. We 'forgot about it' for a month, then racked it to another fermenter with the frozen and crushed watermelon. Then forgot about it again for 3 months. We thought it was a goner. But we kegged it anyway. The first keg was pretty good. We again 'forgot' about the other keg for a YEAR. Then we served it at a fest. It was, as one lass put it, "like liquid sunshine." I don't think this one will be to par, but we shall see...
You never know!

Just call it a Belgian :p.

Sux to hear man yes you must be paranoid!

I certainly don't have any diastaticus floating around in my little Home brewery

Actually bought some Amyloglucosidase just yesterday to help with Attenuation...

Your one forgetful man when it comes to beer Monty :p

Your one forgetful man when it comes to beer Monty :p
It was brewed and stored at my cousin's house who then was out of town for work for a year. We moved our operations to another location, but we left that beer behind. Since I've started brewing and fermenting at home, it is always right in front of me, and I am forever running out! (might be leaky kegs-they never seem to have beer in them when I go to pour a pint.)

It was brewed and stored at my cousin's house who then was out of town for work for a year. We moved our operations to another location, but we left that beer behind. Since I've started brewing and fermenting at home, it is always right in front of me, and I am forever running out! (might be leaky kegs-they never seem to have beer in them when I go to pour a pint.)
Logic dictates that you need a bigger brewhouse to plug that leak. Just saying.

I hear larger keggerators help as well.

Either that or thirsty neighbours when your at work :D

Just to comment on the original post, and some of the comments about rehydrating, or making a starter with dry yeast.
I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but...

Dry yeast is a far superior product than it was many years ago.
We had the North American Rep for Fermentis do a presentation at our home brew club about 3 years ago.
Here is what I learned.

In the presentation he explained, among many other things, the advancements in producing dry yeast, and the benefits of those enhancements to the brewer.

There is absolutely no need to rehydrate, or do a starter with dry yeast today.
Will your fermentation start a few, or a dozen hours sooner? Yes, but the end result, and only benefit is that you could conceivably package it a few or 12 hours sooner. There is no other benefit.

There is also absolutely no need whatsoever to aerate your wort in any way if your wort is 1060 or less as well.
The yeast just doesn't need it, and there will be no benefit from it whatsoever.

After the presentation I had a chance to talk with this gentleman.
At the time I was producing wort at about 1063 for a number of my brews, he said, you're fine, you really don't need to aerate, 1060 is just a safe number he was quoting. I brewed many batches at 1063 without aerating, rehydrating, or doing a starter, and never had any off flavors, or fermentation issues.
Yes, they left the rehydration instructions on the yeast packets, but is truly not necessary, especially at our level.

In my first few years of homebrewing I tried to find more things to do in the process to be more of a "brewer", including trying liquid yeast like the real brewers use. Rehydrating dry yeast, doing starters for liquid yeast, harvesting yeast, were some of the tasks I added. None of this improved my beer, it just made more work, and more things to clean, and store...

You do what works for you, I just thought I would share what I have learned.

Cheers!

Just to comment on the original post, and some of the comments about rehydrating, or making a starter with dry yeast.

We had the North American Rep for Fermentis do a presentation at our home brew club about 3 years ago.
Here is what I learned.

In the presentation he explained, among many other things, the advancements in producing dry yeast, and the benefits of those enhancements to the brewer.

Will your fermentation start a few, or a dozen hours sooner? Yes, but the end result, and only benefit is that you could conceivably package it a few or 12 hours sooner. There is no other benefit.

There is also absolutely no need whatsoever to aerate your wort in any way if your wort is 1060 or less as well.
The yeast just doesn't need it, and there will be no benefit from it whatsoever.

At the time I was producing wort at about 1063 for a number of my brews, he said, you're fine, you really don't need to aerate, 1060 is just a safe number he was quoting. I brewed many batches at 1063 without aerating, rehydrating, or doing a starter, and never had any off flavors, or fermentation issues.
Yes, they left the rehydration instructions on the yeast packets, but is truly not necessary, especially at our level.

In my first few years of homebrewing I tried to find more things to do in the process to be more of a "brewer", including trying liquid yeast like the real brewers use. Rehydrating dry yeast, doing starters for liquid yeast, harvesting yeast, were some of the tasks I added. None of this improved my beer, it just made more work, and more things to clean, and store...

Cheers!
I agree with almost all you have to say, but starters can help with pitch rates. Lagers require more yeast, so 1 pack of 34/70 in a 4 liter starter can help with that in a 20 to 25 liter beer. Just keep in mind, the yeast needs to be treated as a liquid version of the yeast afterwards. It needs aeration.

Here is what I learned.

Cheers!
No feathers here, ruffled or otherwise.

There are three benefits from starters with dry yeast. One is more yeast, for almost free. Anotherrr is verification of viability. And lastly, the fun of oxygenating your wort since it is now liquid yeast...

I agree with almost all you have to say, but starters can help with pitch rates. Lagers require more yeast, so 1 pack of 34/70 in a 4 liter starter can help with that in a 20 to 25 liter beer. Just keep in mind, the yeast needs to be treated as a liquid version of the yeast afterwards. It needs aeration.
Ah yes, lagers, right you are. I only ever brewed one which was the Czech Dark Lager. I used two packs of 34/70. That was a great beer, not sure when,but I will definitely brew that one again.

4 to save some yeast for next batch if your a cheap arse like me :D
I hear ya brother, I'm not cheap, I'm just lazy!
Now if there a way to gets to multiply and grow in my freezer for free, I am listening :cool:

Back