Dry Yeast

Over The Cliff Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I 95% use dry yeast. What I started doing a couple of batches ago was drop it in a beaker with the leftover wort from the kettle and put it on the stir plate overnight. When I pitch it within 2 - 3 hours I get Krausen. I know this is not earth shattering but a new process for my brewing.

I 95% use dry yeast. What I started doing a couple of batches ago was drop it in a beaker with the leftover wort from the kettle and put it on the stir plate overnight. When I pitch it within 2 - 3 hours I get Krausen. I know this is not earth shattering but a new process for my brewing.
Anything that makes it easier to brew beer is a good thing. One of these days, I might need to go that route, but overpitching for me works the same way. For a few bucks, I will throw in the extra packet, or two for a lager and it works well.

Similar to my propagation method using saved yeast.

It's worth the effort acclimatised in the wort their gunna ferment sounds logical to be man!

Since I'm using the no chill method a lot these days, spinning up the dry yeast overnight is no big deal. It definitely gets the fermentation started much faster.

Since I'm using the no chill method a lot these days, spinning up the dry yeast overnight is no big deal. It definitely gets the fermentation started much faster.
My thoughts exactly Clint.

How have you found the no chill pretty chill huh:)?

Like my way of spreading yeast that I've saved.

The wort they're going to ferment seems reasonable, so it's worth it to get them acclimated there.

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly Clint.

How have you found the no chill pretty chill huh:)?
No chill has not created any issues with the beers I've used it. Since I have a stainless SS brewtech 7 gal brew bucket, I just transfer the hot liquid into that, seal it and move on with clean up. I dig it.

No chill has not created any issues with the beers I've used it. Since I have a stainless SS brewtech 7 gal brew bucket, I just transfer the hot liquid into that, seal it and move on with clean up. I dig it.

That is def a good practice if you have the SS tank. It kills everything for sure.

I generally just dump the dry yeast on top of the wort, but i am also running it through a heat ex.

Llalamand(sp?) says for their premium yeasties that no starter is need. But it certainly doesnt hurt!

Great minds think alike I say man!:)

We used to rehydrate with distilled during the brew day, now we pull off some wort after 15 min into the boil for this. (but without the stir plate)

What you are describing can be done with liquid yeast too. It is what Drew & Denny of Experimental Homebrewing call a 'vitality starter'.

We used to rehydrate with distilled during the brew day, now we pull off some wort after 15 min into the boil for this. (but without the stir plate)

What you are describing can be done with liquid yeast too. It is what Drew & Denny of Experimental Homebrewing call a 'vitality starter'.
With proper pitch rates you don't really need a starter. It doesn't hurt though(as long as it is clean).

So I brewed yesturday wort went over at around 37c and I pitched 250g of lallamand Voss dry yeast(sprinkled into the dh port) while knocking out. The OG of the batch was 14.7p @ 5:30pm last night. This morning at 9:30am it was down to 6.4p. Tomorrow morning I expect it to be down in the low 4s. Shit is crazy.

With proper pitch rates you don't really need a starter. It doesn't hurt though(as long as it is clean).

So I brewed yesturday wort went over at around 37c and I pitched 250g of lallamand Voss dry yeast(sprinkled into the dh port) while knocking out. The OG of the batch was 14.7p @ 5:30pm last night. This morning at 9:30am it was down to 6.4p. Tomorrow morning I expect it to be down in the low 4s. Shit is crazy.
Yep, I just found Lutra to be a beast too. Twice now I've hit target FG in 24hrs, but even trying to cold-crash it does no good. The last batch was still going down to 1.005 @ 38℉! (I couldn't let it ride to find out when it would quit as I needed it for a festival.) I just racked a batch last night and it is doing the same. This time I'm going to hold half the batch cold as long as I can just to see where it will finally take a nap.

Yep, I just found Lutra to be a beast too. Twice now I've hit target FG in 24hrs, but even trying to cold-crash it does no good. The last batch was still going down to 1.005 @ 38℉! (I couldn't let it ride to find out when it would quit as I needed it for a festival.) I just racked a batch last night and it is doing the same. This time I'm going to hold half the batch cold as long as I can just to see where it will finally take a nap.
Man that brings back my ptsd. Ever heard of diastaticus? It killed more then one brewery. Sounds alot like that.

Man that brings back my ptsd. Ever heard of diastaticus? It killed more then one brewery. Sounds alot like that.
Yes, I've heard of it. Allegedly this strain is STA1-. (Omega's dried isolate) The beer only started at 1.043 so 88% attenuation—that's high, but not super wild and crazy. The current batch is the same recipe. I've yet to throw it at a higher OG, or start it off colder. (I only chilled to 90℉ and pitched it then)

Of course, I'll keep that in mind and mark this fermenter. If after a thorough cleaning and soaking, another beer with a different yeast dries out, then it will be time to chunk it, or else dedicate it to intentionally drier brews.

Yes, I've heard of it. Allegedly this strain is STA1-. (Omega's dried isolate) The beer only started at 1.043 so 88% attenuation—that's high, but not super wild and crazy. The current batch is the same recipe. I've yet to throw it at a higher OG, or start it off colder. (I only chilled to 90℉ and pitched it then)

Of course, I'll keep that in mind and mark this fermenter. If after a thorough cleaning and soaking, another beer with a different yeast dries out, then it will be time to chunk it, or else dedicate it to intentionally drier brews.
Further attenuation at those Temps sketches me out. (Diastaticus blew up more then a few cans during my time at my previous employer....thanks white labs!)

I am curious to read about that though. 88% sounds brut as fuck might be interesting.

Yeah, I'm leary of Diastaticus too. My fingers are crossed.

It surprisingly wasn't very dry, but that is probably because I kegged it with honey and smashed frozen blueberries! (It took 3rd in a People's Choice) The brew itself was just 8# of White Wheat & 2 ounces of Mosaic. (whirlpool from 165–145, carried over to the fermenter, no boil hops) The current batch got 6oz of Huell Melon the same way, but will get Watermelon instead of Blueberries for another fest on Saturday.

It surprisingly wasn't very dry, but that is probably because I kegged it with honey and smashed frozen blueberries! (It took 3rd in a People's Choice) The brew itself was just 8# of White Wheat & 2 ounces of Mosaic. (whirlpool from 165–145, carried over to the fermenter, no boil hops) The current batch got 6oz of Huell Melon the same way, but will get Watermelon instead of Blueberries for another fest on Saturday.
That sounds pretty cool!

I have never used watermelon in beer before!

My next sour is gonna be apricot, strawberry, lime, and vanilla(to round off the flavor).

Diasticus cost my pervious employer hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I have dumped 1000s of gals of beer due to testing.

Back