Dry hopping time and what to use to dry hop

Steve Russell

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have read discussions of when and how long to dry hop and it seems to vary, based on hops used, how much taste and aroma or lack of. I am sure it's been discussed here , I checked the forum and saw a few discussions but none really on time and what to put the hops in. I usually ferment 3-5 days and when it slows down I had my dryhops in a small spider, usually 1-3 oz's or what is called for in the recipe. I usually continue the fermentation for 8-10 more days, and so far I have left the hop spider in the full time.
My first question; For flavor and aroma, is it better to use hop bags, just put the pellets in the wort or is the hop spider ok?
Second Question; Is it better to take the dry hops out after 3-4 days or is it ok to leave if for the 8-10 days?
I have read that the aroma and taste in dry hopping is done in 3-4 days, and if you leave it longer you may get a grassy or off flavors taste. I have also read that its ok to leave it in there for the duration of fermentation??
I will most likely remove my dry hops after 3-4 days in my next brew to see if it makes a difference in aroma and taste. I am concerned of course with oxidation, but will get them out quickly.
I mostly brew NEIPA's but have done a few West Coast IPA's lately. As usual thanks for reading and your comments are indeed welcome!
Steve

I use the equivalent of a hop stock. Its stainless and sinks into the wort.
Never had an issue with hop aromas and you don't have all that hop gunk in the bottom

There are sooo many different thoughts on this and not necessarily one right answer.
I stopped dry hopping in active fermentation as I felt the aroma was less than post ferment.
I now dry hop loose just before going to cold crash, purging with CO2 during and after the addition.
My dry hops are in the Fermentor for 3 days minimum and sometimes up to a week until I can drop them enough for a clean transfer.
Try out different ways until you're happy with the results.
Cheers
Brian

My first question; For flavor and aroma, is it better to use hop bags, just put the pellets in the wort or is the hop spider ok?
As the hops settle to the bottom, I just put them in loose. Cleaning a hopsock, or other device is just another step that I am glad to avoid.
Second Question; Is it better to take the dry hops out after 3-4 days or is it ok to leave if for the 8-10 days?
I have never removed hops before transfer, and I have never had any issues with the grassy flavors that I have "heard" about.
I mostly brew NEIPA's but have done a few West Coast IPA's lately. As usual thanks for reading and your comments are indeed welcome!
Steve
For NEIPA I typically have at least two hop additions, one at high krausen (or before), and another towards the end of fermentation. Unlike @The Brew Mentor I just throw the hops in, I have never had an oxidization issue

I would echo @The Brew Mentor 's suggestion of trying different methods as well.

There are sooo many different thoughts on this and not necessarily one right answer.
I stopped dry hopping in active fermentation as I felt the aroma was less than post ferment.
I now dry hop loose just before going to cold crash, purging with CO2 during and after the addition.
My dry hops are in the Fermentor for 3 days minimum and sometimes up to a week until I can drop them enough for a clean transfer.
Try out different ways until you're happy with the results.
Cheers
Brian
Thanks for the response, I will probably try different procedures over my next couple of brews.

I use the equivalent of a hop stock. Its stainless and sinks into the wort.
Never had an issue with hop aromas and you don't have all that hop gunk in the bottom
Thanks
I will check that out, I am using a hop tube now, but may try using something different next brew!

I use a stainless steel hop tube and add my hops to the keg (closed transfer, no oxygen), and it works great. The beer definitely changes over the first 3 days, being hoppiest at first, and then mellowing out. If you're hopping in the fermenter during secondary fermentation you could go as long as 2 weeks without ill effects. I've always used something to contain the hops, whether it's stainless steel or nylon mesh

I use a stainless steel hop tube and add my hops to the keg (closed transfer, no oxygen), and it works great. The beer definitely changes over the first 3 days, being hoppiest at first, and then mellowing out. If you're hopping in the fermenter during secondary fermentation you could go as long as 2 weeks without ill effects. I've always used something to contain the hops, whether it's stainless steel or nylon mesh
Ok thanks for the response, I have never dry hopped in the keg, usually only in the primary fermenter, so I might give that a try and see how it comes out!

I've found three days in primary gets what I want with no grassy flavors. I just toss them in. Not much gets in the keg.

In the keg I'll use bag, basket or tea ball. Cold doesn't work as fast. I may never take them out. (But I do use a length of floss to pull them out if I want too.)

I have used just about all of the methods mentioned. What I think about before hopping is am I going to reuse the yeast slurry. If yes, then I contain the hops in a spider or nylon bag. Not saving yeast, I just toss them in. How long you leave them is really a matter of what you like in the hop results. My last few batches have been "No Chill" so I have been containing the hops and removing them before I seal up the kettle. Prolly way too much info......

I have read discussions of when and how long to dry hop and it seems to vary, based on hops used, how much taste and aroma or lack of. I am sure it's been discussed here , I checked the forum and saw a few discussions but none really on time and what to put the hops in. I usually ferment 3-5 days and when it slows down I had my dryhops in a small spider, usually 1-3 oz's or what is called for in the recipe. I usually continue the fermentation for 8-10 more days, and so far I have left the hop spider in the full time.
I have read that the aroma and taste in dry hopping is done in 3-4 days, and if you leave it longer you may get a grassy or off flavors taste. I have also read that its ok to leave it in there for the duration of fermentation??
I will most likely remove my dry hops after 3-4 days in my next brew to see if it makes a difference in aroma and taste. I am concerned of course with oxidation, but will get them out quickly.
Steve

I typically dry hop in a secondary fermenter, which has been a keg lately. I use a mesh bag, but not for any good reason.

I impulse-bought a Big Mouth Bubbler from Northern Brewer, and it came with a hop spider for dry hopping, but I've never used it because I got a FermZilla around the same time and I like the closed transfer.

Have you done a brew since posting? Did you change anything?

What is this hop tube you speak about? In the keg or fermenter?

What is this hop tube you speak about? In the keg or fermenter?
I got it on Amazon! It's about 8 inches long, 1.5 inches wide, with a screw top that has a ring for tying. I usually add hops in the keg

Attachments

• 20220815_164001.jpg
    20220815_164001.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 59
I got it on Amazon! It's about 8 inches long, 1.5 inches wide, with a screw top that has a ring for tying. I usually add hops in the keg
I use this exact one as well.

And me :D
Amazon.nl, on special....
Just used it for the first time with my last brew. Just going to have to leave it open when adding hop to the boil as it's a pain to open when everything is boiling hot:rolleyes:

And me :D
Amazon.nl, on special....
Just used it for the first time with my last brew. Just going to have to leave it open when adding hop to the boil as it's a pain to open when everything is boiling hot:rolleyes:
I use a regular spider for that

I got plenty spiders, but no hop ones :p
It can stand on the bottom of the pot with the opening accessable, so I'll just make a steel frame for it.
Sorry OP, we are only slightly hijacking your thread

Back