Dry hop temperature?

oliver

Premium Member
Reaction score
Weird question that never crossed my mind until now.

What temperature should I dry hop?? 92ºF was my fermentation temp. Same temp?

The beer is a NEIPA with Voss. Grain bill is a ratio of 2:1 Pilsner:Oats.

I pitched Voss at 85F, Fermentation took it to 92 and held consistent, it's slowing down and finishing. There's a fermwrap in the chamber keeping things at 92, which is fine. But I don't know the effect of dry hopping at 92ºF. I mean, is there much of a difference of dry hopping at 68ºF? Anyone have experience with this one?

Different durations and temperatures will net different results. Like any chemical reaction, warmer means faster, so quantifying is probably the easy part of the equation. The hard part is determining what it s that you are quantifying.

Not a definitive answer I know, but I challenge anyone to offer one that would teach all of us something on the subject without specific details and extensive research.

As Bob says, sure to be more 'stuff' dry hopping at those temps. You could speculate on the aromas and oils, but really it's just guessing and I haven't heard or read anything about people trying it. Will it be good or bad or how much of the difference will survive the conditioning and refrigeration? Please update us when you get to that point if you do decide to dry hop warmer than usual. Sounds interesting.

I got a few anecdotes here and there on the subject. There’s no research yet.

I decided to just throw the hops in last night at 92F. I’m gonna let them “steep” at those temps and make sure the beer finishes fermentation, and then maybe cold crash it? Not sure

I brewed a NEIPA using Hornindal Kveik- fermented at 85 and dry hopped at the same temp. Really didn't notice much, if any, difference at the higher temps. Turned out really nice. Best part is I was able to keg at day 10 i believe.

I brewed a NEIPA using Hornindal Kveik- fermented at 85 and dry hopped at the same temp. Really didn't notice much, if any, difference at the higher temps. Turned out really nice. Best part is I was able to keg at day 10 i believe.
I brewed mine on Sunday, going to keg it tonight hopefully, or tomorrow at the shop.

Let us know how it turns out.

I'll be in NOLA Saturday. Might swing by if i have time.

Back