Drink beer, save the planet.

Why You Need to Be Drinking Beer Made With Kernza Grain - InsideHook

Pretty interesting read, might be a thing in another 10 years or so. I'll do my part.
Thanks Megary I really enjoyed that read man.
Similar to rye malt hey sounds like it's got a pretty high protine content as well would be tricky getting a brite clear beer from it without filtration. Be good for head retention though.
Sounds like it's pretty small in size too theyvr been using it unmalted milling it might be tricky.
Sounds like a great grain for saison with its spicey / green tea qualities maybe even them spicey Belgian beers too.

Sounds like a cool plant

Yeah....very interesting...but how big will it get? An article on it from about a year ago...

https://www.dtnpf.com/agriculture/w...21/07/22/minnesota-farmers-see-potential-crop

As this is from a more "Farmers' publication" making the crop yield point of tote loads v semi load. ..as in a wheelbarrow and not a $hit Ton, the other uses are pretty interesting as a buffer zone to water sources and such. Think about any reservoir or hell, golf courses non-play areas and what could benefit the ground water there...now THAT might make some inroads into that other 92-ish part of our fav-bev! Maybe that will ring a bell for the " Science, Mr. White " crowd!

It's a start...a well needed one at that! Great topic @Megary ...good find!

Last edited:
It's still a highly experimental grain, but in 20 years it might be a big thing.
I bought a 14 oz. (400g) bag of whole grain to play with, we'll see what happens.

It's still a highly experimental grain, but in 20 years it might be a big thing.

Pretty cool if it would but my pragmatic side and understanding of what it takes for farmers to change practices, tells me otherwise. The Land Institute needs to get a plant that has more grain to it or is more utilitarian liked wheat where you can harvest the wheat grain then use the stalks for straw bedding and such. I

Just like you and me, Farmers work to make money...and like Alfalfa, Kernza is in the ground for years. They'll make 2, maybe 3 cuttings a year and the hay crop pays off quickly...AND the whole plant is used. The farmer is looking for income in his crops so not paying a licensing fee to anyone for a trademark protected crop like this or any GMOed seed for that matter all adds up to either money in their pocket or someone else's. The plant once, harvest many times I can surely see appeal in, saving soil, groundwater is more than likely an angle the state or the USDA might do a tax break or subsidies but aagain, 10 to 12 years is a commitment...and your tax dollars! We home brewers cut corners by reusing yeast, spent grain goes into bread or chicken feed or compost, the pro's are doing much the same if not more so. We have so much more control over our "crops" than the Farmer does!

Liked I said, it'd be very cool...I'd drink it...tell us how it comes out Don!

ps..no offense folks..I get a little passionate over this topic

so not paying a licensing fee to anyone for a trademark protected crop like this
I agree, but it's $5 an acre I believe. Pretty cheap.
I was hoping to get some seed to grow here, maybe 4-5 square meters, but that's not how they work

Back