Dried Brewer’s Grain for production of Animal Feed?

Megary

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So I found something interesting (to me) in an old warehouse where I work. Years ago, this warehouse used to be a “Feed Mill” that operated probably from the very early 1900’s to about 1960 or so. Anyway, on top of a huge broken-down floor scale, I found this tag, most likely dating from the last years of the existence of the feed mill:

Front

5AAF2B91-8638-4105-9EB2-F560CC9EE107.jpeg

Back

42E2A0A6-46BF-4F9A-9067-A654FC5250C4.jpeg

Can I assume the above was the tag on a sack of spent grain shipped from Stegmaier Brewing to Robert’s Feed Mill to be used in the production of these (or something similar)?

BC69CF62-2282-4F30-98C7-A54294E2B9AF.jpeg

I know @Trialben uses his spent grain as feedstuff, and I’m thinking this might be a market example?? If anyone has any insight into this, I would be appreciative.

I've heard of it, but due to the decreased value it's usually just seen it given away rather than distributed and sold. It's generally not worth the cost to dry, store, package, and ship. If you can find a farmer, or someone with chickens at least, nearby you can usually trade for some eggs or honey or fruit or something if they have a garden.

My friends dad would take spent grain from a local brewery for his sheep. I think they just gave it to him

Yeah, I get that spent grain is pretty much given away now, especially (maybe only) by the small locals. I just thought, considering these labels are at least 60 years old, that it was interesting to see an apparent tag from a sack of Brewer’s Dried Grain. Was it being sold? Maybe Stegmaier gave it away for nothing back then as well?? But Stegmaier was a pretty decent size independent in the mid 20th century, and who knows, maybe they found a way to make a few bucks off it.

So I found something interesting (to me) in an old warehouse where I work. Years ago, this warehouse used to be a “Feed Mill” that operated probably from the very early 1900’s to about 1960 or so. Anyway, on top of a huge broken-down floor scale, I found this tag, most likely dating from the last years of the existence of the feed mill:

Front

View attachment 22200

Back

View attachment 22201

Can I assume the above was the tag on a sack of spent grain shipped from Stegmaier Brewing to Robert’s Feed Mill to be used in the production of these (or something similar)?

View attachment 22202

I know @Trialben uses his spent grain as feedstuff, and I’m thinking this might be a market example?? If anyone has any insight into this, I would be appreciative.
Pretty cool but yea
Yeah, I get that spent grain is pretty much given away now, especially (maybe only) by the small locals. I just thought, considering these labels are at least 60 years old, that it was interesting to see an apparent tag from a sack of Brewer’s Dried Grain. Was it being sold? Maybe Stegmaier gave it away for nothing back then as well?? But Stegmaier was a pretty decent size independent in the mid 20th century, and who knows, maybe they found a way to make a few bucks off it.
Maybe feed was expensive or scarce because of loss of productivity due to wars or such therefore giving a higher demand on animal feed be it spent brewers grains.
Just speculation...

Wonder how it was dried in such quantity? Mine goes to a farm and they use it wet; and warm often.

Back