Doubt with acid additions using water calculator

PDrums

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello!!

I´ve been using this website for long, but it´s my first post on this forum.

I´m confused about how to add acids using the water calculator.

On The "Acid additions" section, i put my mash pH on 5,4 and i select the acid. When i press "update calculations", it gives me an amount of 2,48 mL.

My question is: shall i add the acid to the mash water? o directly into the mash?

Here´s a snapshot also...

Many thanks!

Attachments

• acid addition.png
    acid addition.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 104
I always add any acids to the water before the grains go in.

ups, two completely different answers hehe

would u add directly the total amount that shows? the 2,48 mL? how do you do?

I add to the mash but honestly don't see where it would matter which way you do it. I mix water and grain as they go in the mash tun so don't have the mash water separated out from the sparge water until mashed in, so need to wait for acid addition in that respect. As shown in your snapshot the acid is added to the mash water only when shooting for a PH target.

many thanks! would u recommend to throw the total amount? or try adding small amounts and measuring the pH? is that quantity of acid accurate? i wouldn´t want to over-acidify my mash...

many thanks! would u recommend to throw the total amount? or try adding small amounts and measuring the pH? is that quantity of acid accurate? i wouldn´t want to over-acidify my mash...

I have only been using the water calculator for a few months. I did lots of research before diving into more than just watching ph. For me yes it is spot on every time. I just sprinkle acid addition over mash and stir it. Do you take all things into account? Obviously from your questioning you are unsure of things so might be better to play it safe. You need to fully understand what is going on with anything you put into your beer. This calculator is just a means of doing the math for you with drawn out calculations done in one click. Math is consistent it's people that go oops. If you trust your knowledge of water adjustments and fully understand what is going on in the mash the calculator is a very good tool to simplify water additions. Hope this helps. Cheers

Thanks, but sorry i don´t get your point 100%. I understand that all steps must be known and managed, but i don´t know how to start, that´s why i seek for recommendations. So you just throw the acid and stir...so, shall i do some test before? putting a little acid, measure, sprinkle some more, measure...?

sorry if it sounds stupid, but i´m a little bit lost...

The way I've done it on my last brews:

Go to the water chemistry calculator from the recipe builder, which will bring the grist info into the calculator

Set the desired pH and it calculates the amount of acid of your choice

Just prior to adding the grist into the mash, add the acid to the hot water

Add the grist to mash as usual

After 10-15 minutes, check the pH. For me it has almost been more or less okay, no need to add more or to dilute. Unless you're way off I think you should be good with what you get recommended by the calculator.

Back