Double Brown Ale or Not!

ACBEV

Trial Member
Reaction score
I've not been brewing for awhile, so thought I'd need a few beers for Christmas / New Year. Also I like to brew something different this time of year and use up any odds and sods I've got in my malt bucket.

I've come across this recipe for Whitbread Double Brown Ale (1954)...
http://barclayperkins.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/lets-brew-wednesday-1954-whitbread_9.html

Looking in my odds and sods buckets I've got...

1.3kg - Golden Promise Malt
1.3kg - Maris Otter Malt
1.5kg - Mild Ale Malt
100g - Chocolate Malt
100g - Caraf III Special
500g - Special B Malt
200g - Wheat Malt

5kg Malt Total and leaves the bucket almost empty, except for some Carapils and Crystal Malt.

The only hops i have is 100g of leaf Bramling Cross, which I intend to add to boil in equal amounts (33g) at 60, 30, 15 mins.

I know I'm not following the recipe! Especially the No. 3 invert. What do you guys think?

In the recipe calc thingy it comes out at...
ABV 5
IBU 50
SRM 25

I would dump the Carafa III, especially if it is not Carafa Special, which is the dehusked version.

I would keep the chocolate and special B.

Brown ales are good when brewed with Maris Otter, different lovibond english crystal malts and some Brown malt.

Carafa III, if not dehusked, it is really astringent and roasty, just like roasted barley, so I would avoid it.

Biscuit or amber malt will go well, for that dry, biscuity flavour.

Thanks thehaze... The Carafa I've got is de-husked, but I take your point, I might leave it out anyway. Other malts you suggest are good, but not available to be at short notice. I'm trying to get this brew going today if possible.

Another question... I have some Wyeast London III yeast, which I've had knocking about for weeks, I've smacked the pack, but it seems lazy! I also have a sachet of Gervin yeast (Nottingham I think). I'm thinking of using both!

I smacked the Kölsch strain 3 days ago. No swelling. Then I noticed a July date, maybe it was earlier. Not only is my airlock not bubbling, it hasn’t even risen yet. Shame on me for buying old yeast. Anyone want to buy some 3 day old wort? :D

I smacked the Kölsch strain 3 days ago. No swelling. Then I noticed a July date, maybe it was earlier. Not only is my airlock not bubbling, it hasn’t even risen yet. Shame on me for buying old yeast. Anyone want to buy some 3 day old wort? :D

Oh! Sorry to hear that, can't you pitch some other yeast now? Think I will use my sachet instead of the the smack pack!

If the smack pack is fairly fresh, not more than 30-40 days old, you can safely pitch that. Some smack packs will not swell at all or much, but they are good, as long as they are fresh.

I had it happen for me.

1318 London III is one of my favourites, goes well in IPAs, NEIPAs, brown, stout, porters, lighter ales, etc.

I would say pitch the London Ale yeast and only half of the Gervin yeast pack. For 5 gallons low gravity beer, you will be fine.

I just had a similar problem, a 48 hour lag time using WLP029. Fixed it by warming the carboy. White Labs' Koelsch yeast does not like it cool.

Thanks guys... I pitched both yeasts! and kept the carafa. Didn't taste sharp or too bitter after mashing. Is now bubbling away.

Another question if I could...

I used 100g of bramling cross leaf hops. I normally use pellet hops and it all goes into the fermentor. Should I have removed the leaf hops?

The hop leaf will not " damage " the beer, so that's OK.

Rack the beer off the hop debris after a couple days to avoid vegetal flavors, more likely due to your using leaf rather than pellet hops. And put some kind of a strainer over the foot of your racking cane - the whole hops will clog it otherwise.

Just bottling this brown ale now. Must say it tastes fab, hops are in your face just now, but nice.

Not often I like to drink flat beer, but had half a pint and very pleased. Can only get better with a few bubbles and conditioning.

P.S. I'm glad I used the Carafa III (De-husked). works well with the chocolate malt...

Last edited:

Back