Doppelbock FG issue

Southern Cross

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello Brewing Friends,

A few weeks ago I brewed a Doppelbock in my Braumeister 10 L. I used 2,8 kg of malt and 0,5 kg of DME which gave me an OG 1,078. I fermented with Saflager S-23 and after 3 weeks of fermentation around 12-15°C I got a disappointing FG of 1,024. I still bottled the beer but it tastes sweet and lacks CO2.

What went wrong ? Would the FG have lowered more if waiting a few weeks more ? Could it be the DME ?

I have never had this issue before, but it's my first high gravity lager brew.

Greetings from Chile,

Southern Cross

That FG does seem pretty high , are you bottling in glass or plastic ?
Depending on what temp you used in the mashing process you can dramatically alter the fermentability of the wort

I've always used a 3 week fermenting period for lagers at 12.8°C. S-23 or W34/70 is almost the only yeast I use for lagers. I've gotten to the point where I just check the gravity at the end of 3 weeks and it's good. I used to rack it on day 18, and then again on day 21. I've never seen the gravity change between those two days. I'd be concerned with 1.024 though. Maybe it is a mash issue, as suggested above.

Well what about the high OG? And I'm not a lager pro but maybe raising ferment temp to diacetyl rest mighta reinvigorated the yeasties back into action to clear up them last few reminants of fermentable sugar. Mmm?

Hello Again,

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I mashed as follows: 80' at 68°C + 15' at 75°C + 5' at 78°C, nothing unusual there. I was expecting a FG of 1,015. I don't control my fermenting temperature, I just leave the fermenter in a cool room.

Maybe the next time I'll give it a few more days of fermentation in a room with a higher temperature.

Cheers,

Southern Cross

Pretty high mash there , off top of my head may mean FG would be maybe 0.006 higher than expected so there's still a few point unaccounted .

You have checked the calibration of your hydrometer ?

If bottled in glass I'd be a bit nervous in your shoes , keep a close eye on them

Back