(DONE) Water Chemistry Improvement

johnnysporto

Trial Member
Reaction score
It might nice to add the effects of lactic acid and acidulated malt to the water chemistry pH calculator. I've brewed some fairly high OG beers (stouts and IIPAs) and they usually need some extra help getting the mash pH below 5.5 or so. It would be nice to have a better idea as to the starting point for these additions without having to rely on EZ Water Calculator as well.

Re: Water Chemistry Improvement

Thank you for this suggestion.

Adding a field for lactic acid and acidulated malt is doable. The fun part will be the equations that calculate the impact on pH.

In another thread, a HafMpty asked about the ability to automatically calculate salt additions, and the ability to split between strike and sparge water.

All this and more, including an accurate mash pH calculator are in the works. We'll keep you posted.

LarryBrewer said:
Here is a link to the new and improved water calculator. The back end engine is written by Kaiser:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemi ... alculator/
Sweet!
Would it be possible to add an option for importing the "source water" out of my profile?
(it is a bit of a PITA to have to reenter the same source water numbers each time I want to play with the calculator)

The next version which is soon to be released will have a save and reload option with ability to share via link.

After that we will start integrating it more with the site, including recipes and your water profile. This new calculator takes water profiles beyond the basics we provide in the profile section, so we have to look at how to hook it up cleanly.

Another vote for adding Lactic Acid (85%) to the available water treatments.

Edit:

Sorry, I've just found it in the water calculator. My bad.

Back