(DONE) Keg PSI Calculator - Max Temperature

RoundKid

Premium Member
Reaction score
I wanted to find out why the Keg PSI Calculator tops out at 68*F/20*C and if this could be increased?

I ferment in sankey kegs and use a spunding valve to naturally build pressure with the last few points of gravity so the beer is carbonated when fermentation is finished. Then I transfer the finished beer to corny kegs under pressure.

For practical purposes, this means that I am often carbonating at temperatures near or above the threshold for the Brewer's Friend calculator. For example, right now I have a Saison at 82*F and 36PSI and two lagers in D-Rest at 68*F and 28PSI. Both of these examples fall outside the range of the Brewer's Friend Calculator so I have to look at a different site (like Tastybrew) to make sure I at the correct pressure for my temperature. Tasty's calculator seems to max out at 50PSI, which is more than enough for my purposes. Sankey Kegs are rated to a max working pressure of 60PSI and corny kegs to 130PSI max working pressure, so this would still be well below the safety of the vessel. Also, the relief valve on a sankey tap is set to release at 55PSI.

Would it be possible to increase the max temperature value in the calculator up to say 100*F/38*C?

Re: (NEXT RELEASE) Keg PSI Calculator - Max Temperature

Good points. The keg calculator is now setup to accept a maximum temp of 150F/66C, but it will max out at 50 psi and show a '50 psi Exceeded' message. This will go out in the next release!

Re: (NEXT RELEASE) Keg PSI Calculator - Max Temperature

Thanks!

This is great.

Back