(DONE) Import BeerXML, Promash?

LarryBrewer

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Let's talk about importing BeerXML, Promash, or other recipes. Would you use it?

I saw there is a converter that goes from Promash to BeerXML, so maybe we don't worry about that and just do BeerXML? The fun part will be dealing with any non-standard quirks that exist out there.

Post samples of the recipes files you want Brewer's Friend to be able to import.

Re: Import BeerXML, Promash?

I have about 200 files that I would upload...

Which format we talking?

BeerXML would be great! I can't believe this isn't getting more traffic.

This feature is very close to the top of the list. We are working on something for Kai right now, a new awesome yeast pitch calculator, and then we'll get on to BeerXML.

I like the idea as well. Off topic, that yeast calculator you are talking about--will it have calculations to grow from a culture?

BeerXML import and export support is now available. It is in BETA at the moment, given the wide range of programs that can feed into it, and the even wider range of possibilities when it comes to recipe data.

To Import BeerXML:
Look for the Import BeerXML link under the 'New Beer Recipe' navigation menu at the top.
It lets you bring in unrecognized fermentables as inventory custom fermentables, which is nice.
Recipes imported from BeerXML count towards your 5 recipe trial limit.

To Export to BeerXML
On the view recipe page, there is an option for it under the export tab.

We'll do a detailed blog post about it this afternoon.

...hmmmm, perhaps that's not a good converter... i just converted some PM recipes, and the resulting beerXML files would not import successfully into BF. :(

cheers!
.pltk.

let us know if it actually produces viable XML for you! so far, the recipes i've converted have not been able to import successfully into BF. :)

cheers!
.pltk.

plutek said:
let us know if it actually produces viable XML for you! so far, the recipes i've converted have not been able to import successfully into BF. :)

cheers!
.pltk.

Ugh, sorry man. I didn't actually see your second comment. Chalk it up to lack of sleep and little coffee. Remedying the second right now.

I'll look around and see if there's anything else out there, or if there's anything on our end that plays a roll.

Ok pluck, I think I might have something that will work for you. It's a bit of a workaround, but it should help you out.

- If you have a PC, download out Windows app: http://www.brewersfriend.com/windows/
- You should be able to open your ProMash files within the application.
- Save the recipe as a BeerXML file.
- Import to your Brewer's Friend account online.

Give that a try - hopefully it works for you!

I just tried the last recommendation, however, I get the following error...

upload_2018-2-11_10-23-17.png

Back