Doin' the Doppel

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This guy is on my schedule for Monday, 5.5 gal target in the fermenter, split at the end of lagering, half spiced, half straight:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... mbobulator

The Melanoidin and Aromatic are because I'm too lazy to do decoctions; otherwise, I'll take any comments the assembled experts may have.... Come on, Chess, you have to have something to say about this one! The spice blend is from my wife's German Pfeffernuesse cookies, a form of gingerbread. Goal is to have it ready for Christmas parties.

I don't have a problem with a dopplebock as it is, but go ahead and add the spice if you want. Just dont, for any reason, add a pack of ham glaze spice. God no! The world would come crumbling down around you and cats and dogs would be living together!

Awwww, man, don't limit my options like that! I have to miss the next homebrew night but will have some nice stuff for you at the one following. And I DO want to taste that ham-glaze beer!

My off the cuff response is to wonder if the melanoidin malt is needed, considering that you will get a lot from the Weyermann munich as is. I also prefer light munich (10 L), and wonder if it gets too crazy (maybe cloying?) with the bill, but I feel confident I would drink the crap out of this beer, given the chance. Repost the results when the time comes!

Unfortunately, an equipment failure led to this never getting to the fermenter. Long story short, I broke the bottom off of my floating thermometer in the mash. Rather than risk digesting glass shards, I fed the soil microbes in my back yard with it. Will try again next weekend with an upgraded, digital mash thermometer.

And thanks for the comment on the melanoidin! My goal is to make a Doppel that will stand up to the spices, not so much to be true to form. I drank part of one last night that I did last year, it ages quite nicely. And this is a request for a Christmas party so all things considered, I'm going to veer away from purity and toward malty-sweetness, not quite liquid cookie.

Back