Does adding fruit raise ABV?

Nails111

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I know there are a million answers to this on the internet, but they differ quiet a bit. Some say it does, some say no, and some say it could possibly lower it.

I’m marking an apricot wheat beer and will add 49 oz of Oregon apricot purée at the end of fermentation. My current OG is 1.047, giving my final estimated ABV of 5%. When adding the purée to the Brewers Friend program, it bumps up OG to 1.051 and the estimated ABV to 5.5%. So, according to Brewers Friend, the fruit addition will add to the overall ABV. But, this goes against what a lot of people are saying online.

It’s not a big deal, but rather just a curiosity. My OCD brain wants to know if the beer will be 5% or 5.5%.

I know there are a million answers to this on the internet, but they differ quiet a bit. Some say it does, some say no, and some say it could possibly lower it.

I’m marking an apricot wheat beer and will add 49 oz of Oregon apricot purée at the end of fermentation. My current OG is 1.047, giving my final estimated ABV of 5%. When adding the purée to the Brewers Friend program, it bumps up OG to 1.051 and the estimated ABV to 5.5%. So, according to Brewers Friend, the fruit addition will add to the overall ABV. But, this goes against what a lot of people are saying online.

It’s not a big deal, but rather just a curiosity. My OCD brain wants to know if the beer will be 5% or 5.5%.
The answer is maybe. If your yeast metabolizes fructose into alcohol, you will get more alcohol.

I cannot think of a mechanism that might decrease ABV.

The answer is maybe. If your yeast metabolizes fructose into alcohol, you will get more alcohol.

I cannot think of a mechanism that might decrease ABV.
Thanks for the response.

The way I understood it, ABV could be reduced depending on sugar content of the fruit and the overall water volume in the fruit. So, if the SG of the fruit is lower than the OG of the wort, it would drop the overall OG depending on the water volume added with the fruit. I could have some of this wrong, but that was kind of the gist of what I read.

Hard to imagine sugary fruit being eaten by yeast not increasing alcohol. If you add sugar/fruit and yeast are present/alive they will eat it and make alcohol. Just like adding sugar for bottling.

Last edited:
Yeah, sounds like you are answering your own question ;)
It depends on volume of liquid added in combination with sugar content of the pulp

I assume generally that if it does increase the ABV that would be negated by the increase in volume. its unlikely that the fruit puree would be higher in sugar then your OG.

Honestly i dont worry about the difference in ABV, but I also rarely ferment the fruit. I usually add it to crashed beer and then carb it to mix it in, but im looking for a stronger fruit flavor generally.

How are you going to increase alcohol at "the end" of fermentation?
Adding fruit BEFORE it completes fermenting will usually add alcohol. Maybe not pumpkin without enzymes, but most fruit will add.
Other questions if adding post whirlpool: How are you going to sanitize it? You also need to research how your specific fruit reacts with heat if putting it in before fermentation. I found out that blueberries like to make pectin above 180, so I found a way to add it below that without taking too much of a chance on infection. How much ferments will also depend on the yeast.
At the homebrew level, I like to go for an alcohol range that I am happy with. If I want 5-5.5, I shoot for 5.25 and see what happens.

Fruit sugar added will easily ferment out. That is, unless it has Sorbate in it.
A puree may have more or less gravity points than the wort, depending on the wort potential or OG.
A good way to get the correct OG would be to take the gravity of the puree and enter it with the proper volume it has as a late addition.
I'd think that'd get you what you're after.

When I've brewed with fruit being a hombrewer and not caring what my actual ABV is just throw it in at fermentation.

I use SMB to kill any bacteria before adding to fermenter.

Remember alot of the fruit additions will lower the PH and potential thin it out a bit depending on how much you add.

I went crazy with some passionfruit a while ago it finished for my taster too tart and too thin so I probably added too much...

@Nails111, adding fermentables (apricot purée) at the beginning, middle or end of fermentation will give the yeast more sugars to munch on. Four gravity points and 0.5% ABV for 49 oz of apricot purée sounds reasonable. Also note that if you add it at the end of fermentation, fermentation will start up again. So, give it a few more days to finish up again. Unless you do as @Trialben mentioned and kill the yeast with SMB.

@Nails111, adding fermentables (apricot purée) at the beginning, middle or end of fermentation will give the yeast more sugars to munch on.... Also note that if you add it at the end of fermentation, fermentation will start up again. So, give it a few more days to finish up again. Unless you do as @Trialben mentioned and kill the yeast with SMB.

The process I used years ago to make a Cherry Porter (bottled) was to add the puree/flavoring just prior to bottling - but DO NOT add any priming sugar. The fermentation of the fruit juice in the bottle provided the carbonation! It worked perfectly!

You are right that even at the end of fermentation, there is enough residual live yeast for fermemtation to restart if sugar is added - it is how priming sugars work! In the old days (?) there were many bottled beers (including Guinness) that had yeast residue in the bottom of the bottle. In modern factory brewing the pasteurization process kills off any further fermentation!

The process I used years ago to make a Cherry Porter (bottled) was to add the puree/flavoring just prior to bottling - but DO NOT add any priming sugar. The fermentation of the fruit juice in the bottle provided the carbonation! It worked perfectly!

You are right that even at the end of fermentation, there is enough residual live yeast for fermemtation to restart if sugar is added - it is how priming sugars work! In the old days (?) there were many bottled beers (including Guinness) that had yeast residue in the bottom of the bottle. In modern factory brewing the pasteurization process kills off any further fermentation!

Purée instead of bottling sugar? That's genius! I'll have to keep that in mind next time I brew a porter.

@Nails111, adding fermentables (apricot purée) at the beginning, middle or end of fermentation will give the yeast more sugars to munch on. Four gravity points and 0.5% ABV for 49 oz of apricot purée sounds reasonable. Also note that if you add it at the end of fermentation, fermentation will start up again. So, give it a few more days to finish up again. Unless you do as @Trialben mentioned and kill the yeast with SMB.
Hey just to clarify so I don't mislead you the SMB is to kill bacteria on the fruit addition not to kill the brewers yeast you need SMB in conjunction with Potassium Sorbate :).

The Sodium or potassium Metabisulphate is just to make sure your not introducing any unwanted lacto or other spoilage bacteria into your beer when adding the puree...

Sanitising your fruit addition without high temperatures using chemicals :eek: i use them all the time:confused:

Oh and just so I don't hurt anyone some people can be allergic to Sorbate so use your brewers discretion please

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...oQFnoECAwQBQ&usg=AOvVaw2fg_ERjRpyHD3jspMGd8h-

Typical answer: it depends. It will certainly raise ABV if the volume of the fruit puree/slurry isn't diluted with a lot of water to offset or even reduce the overall ABV of the beer. Much like all ABV estimations we homebrewers do, testing the gravity of your fruit slurry is key.

I have found the information and calculator on the sour beer blog to be useful on this topic:

https://www.sourbeerblog.com/a-guide-to-blending-sour-beer-with-fruit/#:~:text=CALCULATING%20ABV%20CHANGE

Side-note--I have fruited a LOT of beers (I live across the street from a u-pick blueberry & raspberry farm). I have never encountered an infection, as I usually pitch post 20% attenuation or after fermentation. I wash the fruit, cook it on the stove on low until it becomes more of a puree, cover, cool, then pitch the sludge.

Back