Discrepancies between Brew Steps and Mash Calculator

ChiCubs79

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi all - first post on these forums though I've been a casual homebrewer going on 9 years now. I recently switched from propane in the driveway to the Anvil Foundry, and I'm struggling to nail down efficiency and my technique in general with that system.

The current issue is, I assume, in regards to the equipment profile for the Foundry that I hope someone can shine some light on. In the Brew Steps under the Mash step it says "Strike water volume is 4.31 gal...", but when I go to the Mash Calculator it only calls for 3.31 gal of strike water. Why the 1 gallon difference? I'm wondering if it's related to the equipment profile for the Foundry, which defaults to 4 quarts for the "Mash-Tun Addition" field. Which one is the correct amount of strike water?

Any help with sorting this out would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all - first post on these forums though I've been a casual homebrewer going on 9 years now. I recently switched from propane in the driveway to the Anvil Foundry, and I'm struggling to nail down efficiency and my technique in general with that system.

The current issue is, I assume, in regards to the equipment profile for the Foundry that I hope someone can shine some light on. In the Brew Steps under the Mash step it says "Strike water volume is 4.31 gal...", but when I go to the Mash Calculator it only calls for 3.31 gal of strike water. Why the 1 gallon difference? I'm wondering if it's related to the equipment profile for the Foundry, which defaults to 4 quarts for the "Mash-Tun Addition" field. Which one is the correct amount of strike water?

Any help with sorting this out would be greatly appreciated.

We are about to release an update that should resolve some water volume changes, but this one sounds like it’s related to your settings.
@Pricelessbrewing Can you give your input on this issue?

@ChiCubs79 Thanks for joining, and hey former neighbor! I just moved from Glen Ellyn to a philly 'burb, let me know if you need any recommendations for brew clubs!

Yes that's almost certainly the issue, for many reasons the brew steps mash calculator has not been updated or maintained in some time, we recommend using the recipe mash guidelines and QWR which is being worked on continuously. Once the mash guidelines and QWR are fully updated, the brew steps mash tab will either be removed, or updated to mirror the recipe sections.

Back