Did I ruin my Beer with wrong yeast?

Sebrina

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I made a wonderful beer that has been loved by myself and friends. It is the Humpty Dumpty English Bitter. I made so many mistakes the first time I made it and almost threw it out. The taste in beginning was bad. New grain father equipment and new to making beer. Anyway, I lucked out. It was wonderful.
So here is the problem. I am making also an American IPA. The yeast for this is Omega OYL 004 West Coast Ale. I used this yeast in my English Bitter recipe. I normally use AO9 Pub but had to substitute for Omega British Ale VIII yeast.
The British Ale yeast helps with the Bitter. Is my beer going to be ok? They are quite different, The West Coast Ale seems to bring out different things.
Also, should I get the yeast it asks for and not use the OMEGA British Ale VIII?
I am quite upset. That english bitter ale is absolutely delicious.
Thanks.
Sebrina

Go ahead and use it. You might like it better with this yeast.
You'll still end up with beer and even if you don't care for the result you will have learned.

It will be fine, it may have some flavors that the other wouldn't, but it will still be beer

Yup, it will be fine. Just like the last batch, it may be awful when it's very young, but once it comes up to speed it'll be great

When are you expecting your beer to be done?
And will you please give us some feedback?

Like everyone else has said: your beer is not ruined.

Looks like A09 is a high flocculating strain that attenuates to about 70% with a high ester level while OYL 004 is a med-low flocculating strain that attenuates to 75% or higher with a relatively low ester level. Of course this all depends on the environment you provide for the yeast.

My guess: you'll have a more neutral yeast character with a slightly drier beer that is a bit less clear than previous batches.

What you'll learn from it is how yeast affects the recipe. I've personally found that much like hops - I tend to prefer English and German strains of yeast and dislike "American" strains.

I am really curious to hear what you think of your new experiment :)

Back