Diacetyl clean up -

GDubs

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I understand diacetyl clean-up occurs naturally to various degrees with healthy yeast, but does this process take place in the primary fermenter on the yeast cake or the secondary fermenter with suspended yeast? I have limited temperature controls, basically just ambient temperature of 67F in a finished basement.
Im probably over thinking things but I may have pitched my yeast a little too warm on Saturday and just want to err on the side of caution. I was running short on time and pitched my dry yeast (safale-us 05) at 78F, then used my thermometer to agitate the wort a bit and saw that the temp now read 82F. Fermentation appears to be completely normal... +/-16hr lag followed by typically active air lock. I am on day five and the bubbling has begun to slow down a little.
Should I let it ride out in the primary for a couple weeks? Or, let the fermentation slow a little more then transfer to a secondary? For what it is worth, it is a fairly light bodied pale ale.... IBUs should be somewhere right around 55.
I have never bothered with a secondary in the past so if that is the route I should go, please share any tips you might have..... thanks

GW

Diacetyl is more of a concern at lower temps. Once the yeast hits final gravity you can let it set a couple of days and it will be fine. If you are dry hopping, its possible to get some diacetyl from fermentation starting back up due to hop creep.

Unless you have serious fermentation problems, ales really clean up nice on their own.

We use US05 here a lot and diacetyl is rarely an issue for us, we get a quick and clean ferment that's done in 7 days ish. As others have said, maybe a diacetyl rest for a day or two would make sense but no real need for longer.

I've found it to be more prominent - or more noticeable - in lighter pales but it's often mopped up in the keg or cask.

I did an extra step with the lager this last time and cooled it down before I pitched, but I usually don't.
With our water in Florida, it is very difficult to cool below 78 with a normal wort chiller and a hose. I normally pitch around 78 and ferment around 68 depending on the yeast. You are likely fine if fermenting at a constant 67 ambient temperature for 14 days.
There is absolutely no reason to transfer anything to a secondary unless it is a really big beer or you are treating it. Ferment it and bottle or keg it.

Not much more to be said on the subject no need these days for a secondary fermentation vessel thank God no need to clean another fermenter then transfer just leave it in the first one you did all that too.

Sounds like a time to say chill relax have another home brew :)

Not much more to be said on the subject no need these days for a secondary fermentation vessel thank God no need to clean another fermenter then transfer just leave it in the first one you did all that too.

Sounds like a time to say chill relax have another home brew :)

All that cleaning gets real old real quick :)

You guys are great!! Thank you for the responses. I suspected I was over thinking things but it makes me feel better hearing it from folks with more experience

TIL that Diacetyl has a buttery aroma and flavor. I assume this is desired in some styles.
Some English styles like EXTRA Special Bitter / Best Bitter not sure about Milds.

I'd imagine even Barley Wines you'd get away with some I'll have to check the BJCP on that though.

Some English styles like EXTRA Special Bitter / Best Bitter not sure about Milds.

I'd imagine even Barley Wines you'd get away with some I'll have to check the BJCP on that though.

It's mostly considered a fault here, I definitely see it as a fault in my own beers or any other cask beer I try. It's pretty rare though in all honesty, particularly in cask. A lot of it gets mopped up via secondary fermentation in the cask but it can also dissipate once it's tapped and vented too.

Often times if we tap a cask and diacetyl is present we can just let it sit for 24 hours and it figures itself out.

It's mostly considered a fault here, I definitely see it as a fault in my own beers or any other cask beer I try. It's pretty rare though in all honesty, particularly in cask. A lot of it gets mopped up via secondary fermentation in the cask but it can also dissipate once it's tapped and vented too.

Often times if we tap a cask and diacetyl is present we can just let it sit for 24 hours and it figures itself out.
Cool thanks Steve another beautiful thing about cask conditioning :)

Back