Deep Cuts Tunes

Sandy Feet

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Just thinking a little bit ago how many good tunes there were in the 70s and 80sthat never got popular on the radio. Hoping yall will post your favorite classic deep cuts.

Oh man. This will be fun. So are we talking album cuts that would have made good singles/radio songs? Or radio songs that should have been bigger?

German rock band from the 70's, it was actually a whole genre referred to as Krout Rock. One song sounds like Sabbath, the next like Alan Parsons, the next like Floyd, and so on

You have to sift through a lot of clunkers to find the beauties, but there are some beauties!

Oh man. This will be fun. So are we talking album cuts that would have made good singles/radio songs? Or radio songs that should have been bigger?
Whatever. My Spotify 80s list is huge, and I love deep cuts. Always willing to add good shit.

I had a really good friend that passed a number of years ago that was a big Floyd fan like me. He got me hooked on the ELP long version of Fanfare for the Common Man. I have been a little over emotional lately because of things going on, but I almost lost it when it randomly came on this morning when I was going to Lowes.

I had a really good friend that passed a number of years ago that was a big Floyd fan like me. He got me hooked on the ELP long version of Fanfare for the Common Man. I have been a little over emotional lately because of things going on, but I almost lost it when it randomly came on this morning when I was going to Lowes.
Music has that power. There are a few songs that do that to me too.

I have numerous ELP albums. My favorite is Brain Salad Surgery with the HR Geiger cover art.

You have to sift through a lot of clunkers to find the beauties, but there are some beauties!
True but, I think Metromania is pretty good all the way through. In fact I was listening to that a couple of weeks ago.

Nektar is a another cool German band from the same era. Recycled and Magic is a Child are my favorite albums of theirs. Brings me back to my youth when we spent many a Saturday hitting the record stores, and look through many records, looking for specific obscure bands. I even bought an 8-track of Nektar's Remember The Future, even though I didn't have an 8 track player, because that was the only format I could find it on.

In the 80’s, back in college, my roommate and I were obsessed with a blues/rock band called Treat Her Right, specifically the album Tied to the Tracks. One of those great start-to-finish albums. At least for me. I still love pulling that one out every now and then. One of the main guys in the band, Mark Sandman, went on to form Morphine, another great underground band. Unfortunately, he died on stage in Italy at age 47.

Btw, love the kraut-rock suggestions!

Music has that power. There are a few songs that do that to me too.

I have numerous ELP albums. My favorite is Brain Salad Surgery with the HR Geiger cover art.
Mom had Trilogy when I was growing up. I still love that album. I found a cheap copy of the first album a few years back. I love it! Take a Pebble.. Hell, yes.

In the 80’s, back in college, my roommate and I were obsessed with a blues/rock band called Treat Her Right, specifically the album Tied to the Tracks. One of those great start-to-finish albums. At least for me. I still love pulling that one out every now and then. One of the main guys in the band, Mark Sandman, went on to form Morphine, another great underground band. Unfortunately, he died on stage in Italy at age 47.

Btw, love the kraut-rock suggestions!
Oooh, more stuff to discover Nena had the one big hit, but even though I dont speak German, I like some of her other stuff. Until recently, I didnt realize how far Scorpions went back. Their 70s stuff is awesome.

Don't get me started on ELP!
My oldest brother had a lot of their albums, trilogy, Brain Salad Surgery, Tarkus, Pictures at an Exibition...
How about some earlier Greg Lake, lead singer guitarist in King Crimson, my favorite song "Cat Food"

Procul Harum, two big hits with Whiter Shade if Pale, and Conquistador. Some great deep cuts on albums like A Salty Dog, and Exotic Birds and Fruit for starters.

Oooh, more stuff to discover Nena had the one big hit, but even though I dont speak German, I like some of her other stuff. Until recently, I didnt realize how far Scorpions went back. Their 70s stuff is awesome.

I recently watched this episode from The Professor of Rock on 99 Luftballons. I started watching his stuff recently. Tons of behind-the-scenes info.

Back