Decoctions

Should Beer_Pirate decoction mash a traditional German lager?

• Ja

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Nein

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
I have decocted about 10 times with mixed results. It's messy, time consuming, but I do recommend that brewers try it at least one or two times. I stopped a few years ago and was able to increase malt character by choosing and blending malts. I never noticed a huge difference in malt flavor when I decocted.

I found that when I do lagers it's important to watch EVERTHING closely, pH, water, crush, etc, etc. The malt character and just about everything else is greatly affected by the fermentation. If it's your first lager, keep it simple. Pitch a lot of yeast, pitch cold (below your fermentation temp) and choose a yeast that brings out the particular character your looking for. Although lager yeast are similar, they do have some slight differences between the strains.

BTW. Avoid S23 at all costs, that yeast sucks not matter what. Yuck.

BTW. Avoid S23 at all costs, that yeast sucks not matter what. Yuck.
Whenever I read a statement like that, my first thought is, “And yet it still sells. Why is that?” I use that yeast in some of my recipes.

Let’s formuate a recipe that’s the combined effort of what everyone is passionate about not using. We can’t even agree on the best type of water! In the end, we’d be serving up a glass of air. And then someone will complain that it’s oxidized.

Whenever I read a statement like that, my first thought is, “And yet it still sells. Why is that?” I use that yeast in some of my recipes.

Let’s formuate a recipe that’s the combined effort of what everyone is passionate about not using. We can’t even agree on the best type of water! In the end, we’d be serving up a glass of air. And then someone will complain that it’s oxidized.
Water ...DO meter would go mental and we all know what fish do in water

So I've decided to do it. Partly because it'll be a learning experience, partly because the smell of boiling mash sounds delicious, and partly because of all the recommendations to do so. Now, being that I have one propane burner, would it be recommended to pull the decoction and run it inside to boil on the stove? I'm not really looking to invest in brewing equipment for this experiment, so how can I make it work with what I've got?

So I've decided to do it. Partly because it'll be a learning experience, partly because the smell of boiling mash sounds delicious, and partly because of all the recommendations to do so. Now, being that I have one propane burner, would it be recommended to pull the decoction and run it inside to boil on the stove? I'm not really looking to invest in brewing equipment for this experiment, so how can I make it work with what I've got?
Boil it on the stove. You definitely don't want the BTUs a good propane burner puts out - you'll be greeted by the smell of burning malt.

My decoction experience matches some of the other posters here. I can't tell a difference between beers I make with decoction and beers I make with step mashes except for higher attenuation and conversion, less body and foam. It's a lot of work, it's messy, it requires additional equipment and time. Others here swear by the results. So I can't make a definitive statement, I have uses for decoction in some rare cases.... I'd recommend trying it, though. Only then will you know if it works for you.

Relax, it just an opinion. If you want a lager that reminds you of juicy fruit gum, then by all means use it. It sells because homebrewers use it, it may work well as ale yeast, but not a clean lager yeast. If you want uber clean lager use WLP830 at 46F.

I'm a dry yeast guy. I'll be using 34/70 for this beer. FWIW, I've tasted super clean lagers made with S-23 and at least one funky one that I recall made with WLP830 (left a sulfur taste that just kind of lingered). I think there are too many variables (preference being one) that we can't or don't account for on a homebrew scale to write off anyone else's methods.

ok this is my one burner method for decocting it aint pretty! pull off decoction onto another pot then carefully lift your brew kettle off burner bloody heavy. then decoct away.

I use to decoct all my lagers before i purchased a Braumeister and I did it different than most. I did a full volume BIAB type decoction where i mashed in at 62c then draw off most liquid into a sealed up cooler, boiled the mash for 30 min then returned the liquid to bring the temp up to the Alpha rest. Then I did the same thing to reach mashout temp. Then it was lift basket to drain and boil. Beers were great but I feel I'm making better beer with a step mash in my BM.

Back