Decline in Hombrewing.

Hard to even understand. Looks like one sprung a leak while warming up for a "D" rest?

Couldn't find the "you know you did it wrong thread"...

Thought this picture my sum up why there could be a decline in hombrewing due to poor um due diligence.
Not doing your homework...:rolleyes:
Was working at this house and saw this:eek:View attachment 26150
I didn't get to chat to them and not sure I would really pushed to hard to get better fermentation control you know if you like your beer brewed like that than who am I to argue right?o_O:)
Fermentation in full sun seems a bit risky. Maybe they tasted the beer and just opened the spigot and let’er go.

Couldn't find the "you know you did it wrong thread"...

Thought this picture my sum up why there could be a decline in hombrewing due to poor um due diligence.
Not doing your homework...:rolleyes:
Was working at this house and saw this:eek:View attachment 26150
I didn't get to chat to them and not sure I would really pushed to hard to get better fermentation control you know if you like your beer brewed like that than who am I to argue right?o_O:)
Maybe they are making sun tea beer. :po_O

Yeah that's the North side of the house next to a brick wall. Think South side up your end of the globe.

No matter what time of year it gets bloody hot.

Actually that's his bottling station I saw the bottle filler thing a mijigger anyhow my work mate who's just got into Homebrewing was amazed as well :p.

Fermentation in full sun seems a bit risky. Maybe they tasted the beer and just opened the spigot and let’er go.
Seems to be the case one on left ferm flys a plenty in the grass there lol.

You know a couple of $ toward a fridge and temp controller could really change this person's life :)

Anyhow don't want to be to condescending I'll get a beer infection now...

Naaa...that's either stupidity or stupidity!
I sure was trying to make heads n tales of it.

Even if I were gunna dump my fermenter I still wouldn't leave it in the hot Skunking sun for the day before I did

I guess this is where "that homebrew taste" comes from:rolleyes:...

This
https://www.9news.com.au/national/b...LPzCjDR6IMDMKLi1QEw1v3yAQ&utm_content=bullets
Is a good reason for Australians to keep on Homebrewing!
A 2%raise in tax on beer!

According to that article above were 3rd behind Finland and Norway on beer tax rates.

So don't come to Australia to get on the beers you will need to take out a small loan to afford it!

See this is what puzzles me on the supposed decline in Hombrewing.
definitely not a good time to open a Brewery :(

Found another article showing beer taxes in comparison
https://www.brewers.org.au/beer-the-facts/beer-and-taxes/

Last edited:
This
https://www.9news.com.au/national/b...LPzCjDR6IMDMKLi1QEw1v3yAQ&utm_content=bullets

According to that article above were 3rd behind Finland and Norway on beer tax rates.

So don't come to Australia to get on the beers you will need to take out a small loan to afford it!

That's one of those "Hard to like" posts...

I have been here before. Back in the 80's the first wave of home brewers surged and then dwindled. Papazian got a bunch of us started. Home brew suppliers were everywhere and it was pretty easy to have a go at it with a boil pot and extracts. Hard times arrived and the suppliers dropped out. Not many craft breweries were in existence. I started around 1985 or so, and really liked it as a hobby. I brewed mostly English Ales and Stouts. I kept up until early 90's and then went into the full grain brewing. Never looked back after that. The boom lasted until Covid-19/2020. Up here in Minnesota, the craft breweries popped up like Pubs in Ireland. They are everywhere and most are still doing fine. We are starting to see some fail, but the could be for lots of reasons. Supplies are more expensive then ever, but i still seem to think it is a wash whether to buy craft beer (which I do) or keep brewing (which I also do). I bottle in Bombers and have rigged up a pulley and rail system to move my 5-6 gallon batches from stage to stage. Nothing fancy, but always good beer. Some of the craft breweries are getting weird and fruity, and some even think Stout is a seasonal drink! Even so, my 'brewery' wall is covered with craft brewery stickers, as my wife and I enjoy jumping into the roadster and going brewery hunting on road trips. Great retirement so far! My son now brews, his oldest son now brews. What more could I possibly want out of this life! I worked hard to get here and am enjoying it all!

This

Here in the UK we have seen a general decline in consumption across all categories and it's been going on for years. People are not neccessarily looking for less expensive beer, rather there are fewer people drinking beer.

For me, this is why the volume brewers pull their dirty tricks like dropping ABVs, shrinking pack sizes and fannying around with recipes. Their only interest is the bottom line and their only responsibility is to shareholders. They're chasing a shrinking market.

I've Stumbled upon this Twice thus far in recent weeks the humble Decline in people taking up and continuing on In the Hombrewing hobby.

We've all just witnessed the demise of some big arse US long time brewery Anchor Steam and I've been witness to a few going under here in Australia.

It seems these post covid days have been hitting the hip pocket pretty hard causing people to tighten the proverbial Belt buckle and forgoe the local tipple and even the hombrewing hobby altogether!

I for one remember the massive boom in hombrewing durin the Covid 19 pandemic I'm sure even a few forum members jumped on here In the brewersfriend forum.

I would thought the cost of living the rise in interest prices and rise in affordable living would of spurred people to keep on brewing beer at home so that's for sure puzzled me.

I know personally me and my little family have felt the pinch. I'm just glad I've lernt a few cost saving measures when it comes to brewing like yeast re pitching and well nowadays malting my own grains - buying hops in bulk has always been a wise idea if ya gunna be brewing long term.

I saw the brulosophy state of hombrewing survey had 1000 less participants from this time last year! that's a big hit within the hombrewing margins especially when it's a selection of that already small number of hombrewers who found there survey...

So what have you all been noticing in regards to your own hombrewing in general?

Are you cutting back on them more hoppy homebrews because of the cost / brew of such styles NEIPA IPA's?

Another thing I've noticed is the price of beer here in Aus has definitely gone North of 10$ mark for a schooner of craft beer and that can be pretty cheep depending on where you go for a beer!

Just interested in your thoughts on this?

Are struggling to keep in the hobby?

You seeing other hombrewers/pro brewers struggling?

Even online I see the extra push for Patreon on YouTube subscriptions for instance.
Anyhow enough of me waffling.

What's your take on this?

The numbers don't lie, but there's a new market coming up for those with gluten intolerance or celiac. Homebrewing is for many a result of not finding the beers they want in the stores. While many craft breweries are on the shelves these days, this is an area in its infancy. With the celiac numbers steadily rising and the quality of most 100% gluten-free beers truly sub-par, I think it's a new group of homebrewers that are just getting started (including myself!).

I saw the brulosophy state of hombrewing survey had 1000 less participants from this time last year! that's a big hit within the hombrewing margins especially when it's a selection of that already small number of hombrewers who found there survey...

I wouldn't put much stock in that result. I'm subscribed to their site and I didn't know the survey existed until they reported on it. (I don't visit it regularly on my own) I'd suspect it was an outreach problem more than a testament to the level of interest in the hobby.

To be sure, economic pressures are at play. I'd bet if the data was there, we'd see this happen any time the economy isn't purring along.

Our own club has seen consistent level of activity. The faces change, but the numbers don't.

I agree that the advancement of electric all-in-one systems being at the forefront have perhaps scared some folks off from the entry-level, not realizing, those systems are *not* the ground floor. But even that ground floor, stove top extract, is crazy expensive compared to just 5 years ago. Most ingredient kits go for $50+. That's nuts. Yeah, it is a little cheaper than Craft, but not by much. Plus you need at least some equipment. You have to take the risk you make a bad batch. You have to wait 4-6 weeks for it. Or you can buy 4–5 craft 6 packs of different styles for the same price and drink them right away.

I have been here before. Back in the 80's the first wave of home brewers surged and then dwindled. Papazian got a bunch of us started. Home brew suppliers were everywhere and it was pretty easy to have a go at it with a boil pot and extracts. Hard times arrived and the suppliers dropped out. Not many craft breweries were in existence. I started around 1985 or so, and really liked it as a hobby. I brewed mostly English Ales and Stouts. I kept up until early 90's and then went into the full grain brewing. Never looked back after that. The boom lasted until Covid-19/2020. Up here in Minnesota, the craft breweries popped up like Pubs in Ireland. They are everywhere and most are still doing fine. We are starting to see some fail, but the could be for lots of reasons. Supplies are more expensive then ever, but i still seem to think it is a wash whether to buy craft beer (which I do) or keep brewing (which I also do). I bottle in Bombers and have rigged up a pulley and rail system to move my 5-6 gallon batches from stage to stage. Nothing fancy, but always good beer. Some of the craft breweries are getting weird and fruity, and some even think Stout is a seasonal drink! Even so, my 'brewery' wall is covered with craft brewery stickers, as my wife and I enjoy jumping into the roadster and going brewery hunting on road trips. Great retirement so far! My son now brews, his oldest son now brews. What more could I possibly want out of this life! I worked hard to get here and am enjoying it all!
Ah mate That sounds fantastic your son and grandson taking on the family brewing traditions.
No wonder I'm an 83 model and you been brewing since 85 wow man that's a long time in the Hobby man!

Thankyou very much for your valuable 2c.
Sounds like you've made the hobby work for you with the pulleys and such as you've got older!

The only beer I lift in my little Hbrewery here is at the end of the line in the glass to mouth kinda stuff everything else is either pumped or pushed via Co2 I to its respective recieving container.

Man I hope stick around as long as you in the rewarding Hobby.

Cheers:)

The numbers don't lie, but there's a new market coming up for those with gluten intolerance or celiac. Homebrewing is for many a result of not finding the beers they want in the stores. While many craft breweries are on the shelves these days, this is an area in its infancy. With the celiac numbers steadily rising and the quality of most 100% gluten-free beers truly sub-par, I think it's a new group of homebrewers that are just getting started (including myself!).
I'm right with you on that my man!
I myself am a recently diagnosed Ceoliac since Christmas last year.
Yeah the GF bottle / can option here on Australia sucks to put it lightly.
Only one big producer here in and as well as HB GF supplier Two Bays Brewing down in Victoria.

I wouldn't put much stock in that result. I'm subscribed to their site and I didn't know the survey existed until they reported on it. (I don't visit it regularly on my own) I'd suspect it was an outreach problem more than a testament to the level of interest in the hobby.

To be sure, economic pressures are at play. I'd bet if the data was there, we'd see this happen any time the economy isn't purring along.

Our own club has seen consistent level of activity. The faces change, but the numbers don't.

I agree that the advancement of electric all-in-one systems being at the forefront have perhaps scared some folks off from the entry-level, not realizing, those systems are *not* the ground floor. But even that ground floor, stove top extract, is crazy expensive compared to just 5 years ago. Most ingredient kits go for $50+. That's nuts. Yeah, it is a little cheaper than Craft, but not by much. Plus you need at least some equipment. You have to take the risk you make a bad batch. You have to wait 4-6 weeks for it. Or you can buy 4–5 craft 6 packs of different styles for the same price and drink them right away.
Yeah I'm a regular reader of Brulosophy stuff and of all the years they've been doing their survey this is the one year I missed their survey!

They must not have had it up on their site for long...

Yeah if I think of how I got into the hobby.
I started small.
Stove top extract in a pot actually I bought the pot from a small work bonus so it cost me nothing:p.

That was my way of convincing the wife or better yet sideling it past her saying I'm just trying to make some ginger beer:D.

It's always been a gradual acquisition of better more fancy equipment here but most I built myself.

Yes most people don't wanna put down some serious cash to start a hobby they don't even know is right for them.

I think of another hobby I got into Long Range Rifle shooting they held a come and try day to try and require some new members. Everything was provided 308 jacket Ear muffs the only thing I had to by was the bullets.
Then the progression was use the club equipment until I got Serious and bought my own jacket gun ect.
I bowed out when it got serious I was just there to shoot Sh$t:).

Would be cool if HBing was sorta like that Here's a loan kettle ect all ya gotta buy is the ingredients...

Here in the UK we have seen a general decline in consumption across all categories and it's been going on for years. People are not neccessarily looking for less expensive beer, rather there are fewer people drinking beer.

For me, this is why the volume brewers pull their dirty tricks like dropping ABVs, shrinking pack sizes and fannying around with recipes. Their only interest is the bottom line and their only responsibility is to shareholders. They're chasing a shrinking market.
Gen Z apparently drink less than the previous generations maybe something to do with Vapeing :rolleyes:...

Gen Z wouldn't know a good beer if it was poured on 'em. They're the ones still keeping Bud Light afloat.o_O

You may have a point about the vaping thing. They all think it isn't going to hurt them and that they look cool blowing a huge cloud of vapor. What they don't know or read WILL hurt them. Apparently, the liquids with nicotine in them are a LOT more addictive than cigarettes ever were. If you ever read up on the tobacco industry in this country leading up to the massive class action suits, It's jaw dropping what they did to get folks addicted, and most of it was NOT nicotine, albeit, most of them used nicotine enhancers in their tobacco products. I smoked for 37 years, but between the additives for 'flavor' and the additives for fire safety, I got enough and quit cold turkey. The missus didn't even know I'd quit for nearly 3 months because I kept carrying my lighter and an open pack in my pocket to prove to myself I could quit. No gum, no patch, nothin'. Just quit. Did I ever mention that I can be on the stubborn side?:rolleyes:

My silly 19 year old granddaughter decided to start vaping and had enough older acquaintances that would get them for her, whom fortunately (for them) she won't name. Vapes are regulated here just like tobacco and alcohol here, and kids are not supposed to be able to buy them until they're 21. Just like when we were kids, though, if the Gen Z kids wanna do something, they'll find a way.

I think homebrewing in Alabama is actually on the rise, because alcohol regulations were changed pretty drastically just before COVID hit. It was around before that, and there were even suppliers for brewing and distilling, but they had pretty strict restrictions on the quantities they could sell. Now, it's a lot easier to get supplies (not so much financially) and a LOT of micro breweries have popped up in the last few years that are exposing people more to craft beer and home brewing. And there is a much better selection of craft beers available in all the supermarkets and booze bizzes.

It's still a little bit less expensive to homebrew than to buy craft beer, but it does take a lot of work. If I was still working in my career, I probably couldn't keep up with it at all. I was subject to being on the road for months at a time, and was usually playing catchup every weekend I was home with the yard work, Honey-Do list, kids, and trying to give the missus a little attention, too.

This

That sucks! Government robbery

Back