CYBI clone of DBA high FG

ardentmonk

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I brewed up a DBA clone, this was my first time taking a mash ph and also building the water from scratch.
My results are good but off my goal.

-RO water + minerals= Ca 100/ Mg15/ Na 31/ SO4 200/ CL 75
-I made a 3L stir plate starter for 10 gal using WL002.Decanted. I almost used 05 or 007 but O L.
-My mash temp was 150*F and 1.39 qt/lb and 60min- I batch sparged with 7g mash 8g sparge
-I witheld the baking soda until I discovered my mash ph was 5.24. My goal was 5.4. Upon adding there was no change. Buffering ha. 2.2g was a small addition and next time I'll work out the math to adjust on the fly.
-I upped the bittering hops and adjusted the Styrian in the hopstand since they were rated so low 1.8 AAU.
-I aimed for 10 gallons and got nine in the end with OG 1.063 but did not dilute. Should have!
-This is my 1st time doing a hop stand but went the full hour.

My FG at day 11...1.019. Bittering is good, malt flavor dominates and it's very muddled.

I plan to bottle 5 gal and keg 4. In the keg it won't matter but as for my friend's bottled portion?

My instincts say to boil a gallon of DI water and add 9-12g more Gypsum which would take my sulfate from 200ppm to 350 and 400 respectivley. My chloride is now at 75ppm. S/C ratio is 2.6 and my plan would increase it to a 4.6 to 5.3. Also to this gallon I would boil more flavor hops (15min) and when cooled some higher attenuating yeast like Nottingham or WL007, rack it to secondary and let it sit a month. ABV is 5.78 and goal was 5%. SO far it looks like with my starter and nutrient I have 69% atten.

Does this sound like a good way to approach the high fg and balance the brew?

My only serious concern is getting 5g of brew safe to bottle for my friend. As WL02 seems to have reached it's limit I wouldn't expect it to be able to consume the primer either. Can I get the other yeast to wake wiith out needing much aeration?

Update, 1 hr mash at 150* F and 5.2 room temp ph = FG 1.014 and 6.43% abv with 77% attenuation using WL002 !

My water profile was RO with additions but could have used more alkalinity to bring it up to 5.4 Ph which would have emphasized the hops better but here's proof that this strain will attenuate high with simple aeration (shaking), proper pitch rate, and yeast nutrient ( FermaidK ) :D

I will be adding more gypsum to this batch and with a proper mash ph I'm certain this clone could be better balanced next time.

hitting your number right the first time is next to impossible, and trying to do both ph and change ro water would even be harder, sounds like you're headed in the right direction, for me I would start simple and perfect one thing at a time, good luck

Back