Cutting the Keg CO2 tube?

Megary

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
As I have been dialing in my brewing volumes/losses etc., I continue to get a little more finished beer into my kegs each time. But doing some measurements, I just realized that if I ever actually got all 2.5 gallons (my batch size) into my 2.5 gallon kegs, the CO2 tubes would be slightly submerged into the beer! That can't be good for carbonation. o_O

Anyone ever cut their CO2 tube? My CO2 tube is 1-1/2" long and I could easily take 1/2" off of it and be above the 2.5 gallon mark. I also have a check valve on the CO2 QD post so I'm not worried about pushing the volume of beer a little higher. I suppose I'm probably talking about another pint of beer that I could squeeze in there. Doesn't seem like much, but at 2.5 gal batches, a pint is serious business.

I can't see a problem cutting the tube, but I figured I'd ask before there's no going back.

Yes, I've cut mine. I use pin lock kegs and the lids don't come with a manual release so if and when I purge, I do so thru the co2 post. Cheaper to me than buying a new lid. The shorter posts also help with the foam that builds up during pressure transfers of carbed beverages. You can cut it as short so there's just enough to go into the tank

Ive thought about doing this myself too Magary but haven't ended up doing it.
Ive trimmed some off the liquid side though just the same id imagine for the gas side just hit it with the grinder.

You know in theory its just the delivery tube for the gas so i dont think it matters how short it iso_O

I would think as long as it doesn't leak it shouldn't make any difference.
The batch I kegged yesterday came real darn close to the top.
I was burst carbing it a bit through the beer out line, didn't really think about the gas tube at the time.

Back