Cryo Hops Available Next Month

According to the link, only available to commercial. Resets but will be available to general public in July. Interesting as they indicate they are cost effective as well

LHBS is recommending these for dry hopping. Even they are telling us there's no reason to use them in the boil. Too expensive although you get about the same IBUs per dollar from them.

I'll have them in my shop next Thursday and will start doing experiments with them.
They should be ~$4 per ounce.
Here's more info on the Simcoe;
Developed by Yakima Chief Hopunion, Cryo Hops represents the the most innovative technology in hop processing. It uses a proprietary cryogenic separation process which preserves all components of each hop fraction, producing two simultaneous co-products, LupuLN2 and Debittered Leaf. LupuLN2 is the concentrated lupulin of whole-leaf hops containing resins and aromatic oils. It is designed to provide intense hop flavor and aroma, enabling brewers to dose large quantities of hops without introducing astringent flavors or vegetative cone material. LupuLN2 offers twice the resin content of traditional whole-leaf and hop pellet products, and should be dosed at approximately half the amount by weight. Aroma: Passion fruit, pine, berry and earth. Alpha: 21-25%, Oil: 2.5-4.5%

The different versions are Cascade, Citra, Ekuanot, Mosaic and Simcoe.

Sounds about right. Your price is a bit less per IBU than regular pellets.

I did a Beer Festival last weekend and featured my pale ale, dry hopped with the Cryo Mosaic.
I dry hopped in on the Wednesday, 10 days prior to the fest. I first tried it on Friday, 2 days later. It was awful!
Undrinkable!
I thought I ruined the beer.
We had our customer appreciation party 2 days later on Sunday and I asked another Brewer and judge to sample it. It had started to come around and although very resinous, I liked where it was going,
I transferred it off the hops the following Friday and served it Saturday at the festival.
I had nothing but positive feedback on the beer, although I felt it was still a little resinous and not overly floral.
After the festival, I had about 2 gallons left in one of my kegs and got to bring it home!
I'm drinking it now and its spectacular!
Cheer, more experiments to follow!
Brian

yes even though hoppy beers are meant to drink early I still think their better after 2 weeks of aging, I don't like the resiny taste my self either, or thick milky hop residue but clear perfect taste from the flavor you would expect,

I'm about to make a Cryo pale ale myself but l've been putting it off due to rain and 97% humid cloudy days here, its just no fun in this weather

I made a pale ale with some cryo Mosaic, and dry hopped with pellet Mandarina Barvaria and Citra hops and it turn out very nice. I don't see how they would work well as a dry hop, although I know some breweries that use them in the dry hop. To me I think the cryo hops work best as late and whirlpool additions. I read elsewhere that the cryo hops give the best flavor when blended with standard pellet hops.

These cryo hops are so new, people are still trying to see how to use them to get the best out of them.

yes even though hoppy beers are meant to drink early I still think their better after 2 weeks of aging, I don't like the resiny taste my self either, or thick milky hop residue but clear perfect taste from the flavor you would expect,

I find this to be true as well.

It obviously depends on the hops youve used i find with the few hops ive used like galaxy and equinox nelson sauvin that not too resinous and taste great straight out the gates.

Maybe it is a preference thing too?

Back