Crisp Maltings Handbooks

AHarper

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Gere are links to a couple of very informative guides - most of which you may know already but there are some useful recipes here - but unless you are able to brew 500+ liters in your garage, then you will have to scale them down.
I hope you are able to connect to the sites. If anyone has issues I have the PDFs here and I can probably send them direct to you.

The story of Crisp Maltsters
https://f.hubspotusercontent10.net/hubfs/6508514/Digital Heritage Booklet.pdf

The use of their malts - with loads of recipes
https://f.hubspotusercontent10.net/hubfs/6508514/CRISP_CRAFT MALT HANDBOOK.pdf

Really cool thanks! See a few recipes I want to try. Also some malts I’ve seen in recipes but never used. Good to see those descriptions

Last edited:
Really cool thanks! See a few recipes I want to try. Also some malts I’ve seen in recipes but never used. Good to see those descriptions
You are welcome Josh. I dont know if the Recipe maker will scale them down completely so I will work on a spreadsheet to do it... well it's something to do.

It gives percentages I can work with that

That’s pretty cool. I didn’t realize the Maris Otter was a winter barley. I learned something today. Thanks!

I dig Maris Otter in the darker beers. I have used it in an IPA as well.

Fascinating reading. I need to see where I can get some if them locally.

Crisp makes great malt. The Maris Otter is very rich in flavor, stands up to hops and come through beautifully.

Stupid trivia, "Maris Otter" is Latin for "Sea Otter". Just another interesting, yet useless piece of information.

That’s pretty cool. I didn’t realize the Maris Otter was a winter barley. I learned something today. Thanks!
Yes and golden promise is this grown in Scotland? And harvested spring time?
I remember the two are different in time harvest or origin...

Yes and golden promise is this grown in Scotland? And harvested spring time?
I remember the two are different in time harvest or origin...
Yes - from Simpsons web site

Like Golden Promise®™, Maris Otter is also a heritage barley variety that dates back to the 1960s. However, Maris Otter is a winter barley variety, whereas Golden Promise®™ is a spring barley variety.

Back