Creativity Brew?

I'm going to toast some Golden Promise in the oven in attempt to make something similar to a Brown Malt.

Might even roast another half pound to the 300-500 level on my smoker outside. That would probably get to a Black malt with a hint of smokey. If that isn't creative, I don't know what is!

By the way, many thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I have been inspired to start roasting my own malts and trying combinations I may have never thought of.

I'm going to toast some Golden Promise in the oven in attempt to make something similar to a Brown Malt.

Might even roast another half pound to the 300-500 level on my smoker outside. That would probably get to a Black malt with a hint of smokey. If that isn't creative, I don't know what is!

By the way, many thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I have been inspired to start roasting my own malts and trying combinations I may have never thought of.

Sounds awesome! I might even recommend doing the brown malt outside as even the 30-50 L I did was a bit smokey each time I opened the oven!

Have fun!
I plan to brew my toasted ale this week - maybe even tonight...

So I finally brewed this one with WLP-500, never got to the Belgian Blonde Ale or the Molasses one either. It wasn't the original "Creativity" brew with molasses, but I'll probably end up doing that one in May and let it age until Halloween.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/957617/belgian-golden-strong-banana-1

I just dumped 1 pound of honey into the fermenter after 3 days and it was at high krausen. The smell of bananas and bubble gum combined with the graham cracker of Golden Promise malt was so awesome. Can't wait to try this one. Sadly, it will be at least another 2 months before I get to sample it. My eff. was a bit high so instead of hitting 1.077 for my OG, it was 1.083 without the honey! Now my OG is actually closer to 1.090 after adding the honey today. Fingers crossed, i'll report back when it is bottled.

Any suggestions on how long to leave it in the Primary. I normally rack to a secondary (keg) to cold crash and/or bulk age, but I guess I could always just crash in the primary and then bottle straight from there.

Back