Crazy attenuation with Mangrove Jacks M41 Belgian Ale Yeast

The Green Man

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just tasted a bottle of my Belgian Strong Golden (https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/512727/strong-belgian-golden) after only a week of bottle conditioning. Wow! Very happy with it. Smooth and fruity with a silky mouthfeel. Head is also creamy and stays until the end.
Tbh, it is not what I was expecting. I pitched the yeast at 18C and after three days allowed it to free-rise. Our weather that week was very hot with temps up-to 30C. Bit too warm for the yeast. So, after 4 days at pretty high temps (26C-30C) I was worried about fusels and decided to put it back in the chamber at 18C for another week.
When I tried it I was expecting more fusels, but surprisingly there are none. This might be due to the week of 18C fermenting which allowed the yeast time to clear it up. But, I'm no expert, so don't really know for sure.
The other astonishing thing was the gravity reading. OG 1.064 at pitching, 10 days later 1.000! Measured again before bottling, the same, so it's not a dodgy reading on my part. Crazy attenuation.
I know these Belgian strains can be monsters from other posts on other brewing websites.
Any similar experiences out there?

I've used mangrove jacks M27 saison yeast it attenuated to 1.000 and in a very short space of time. It is freeky how clean they taste after fermenting at such high temps I started mine at 26 and let it rise up to near 30c. But it didn't score to well in a local comp I put that beer in. Great to hear your stoked with the outcome green man. Keep on brewing:).

Back