Corn Sugar % range for lager

Brewer #334545

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
hey everyone i was thinking about drying out a lager with some corn sugar, what would be a safe rang for it as % of grain bill.

thanks,
-Will

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but I usually go by 1lb of sugar will raise you .046 specific gravity

I'm just looking for a percent of grain bill.
is 3lbs in a 5 gallon batch too much? etc..

People do a kit and a kilo for the Coopers kit.

2.2 pounds, but I wouldn’t go more than that.
I just had another look at the recipie it was a double size batch 42lt.

That's were sharing percentages is better I find.
So 12.5% cane sugar was used.

It would be 500g /5gal batch or 1 pound.

I've got away with 1kg of cane sugar calc rekons that 2 pounds :eek:

Anyhow it's was bloody yummy
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1045504/light-n-fizzy
That's getting into Budweiser country... It's possible to go all the way to seltzer country, no malt at all, with some yeast nutrient. Depends on what you want to brew. There's no "right" answer, I've seldom seen more than a pound (500 g) of pure sugar in a 5 gal (19 liter) batch. Strange timing, I'm working on an experiment with sugar and dextrine added to extract, not so much for flavor but to look at impact on fermentability.

That's getting into Budweiser country... It's possible to go all the way to seltzer country, no malt at all, with some yeast nutrient. Depends on what you want to brew. There's no "right" answer, I've seldom seen more than a pound (500 g) of pure sugar in a 5 gal (19 liter) batch. Strange timing, I'm working on an experiment with sugar and dextrine added to extract, not so much for flavor but to look at impact on fermentability.
I tell ya what it's cheep though adding that much sugar Is the key as the OP alluded to is how much without loosing to much malt flavour.
It would be interesting to maybe throw in some Munich malt and increase the sugar addition sorta to counter one another.

Sugar and dextrine or dextrose?
So comparing adding cane sugar vs dextrose to an extract beer?

Supposedly cane sugar imparts a "cider like" taste in a beer. Well that lite n fizzy sure tasted like lager and not Cider.

Last edited:
I tell ya what it's cheep though adding that much sugar In the key as the OP alluded to is how much without loosing to much malt flavour.
It would be interesting to maybe throw in some Munich malt and increase the sugar addition sorta to counter one another.

Sugar and dextrine or dextrose?
So comparing adding cane sugar vs dextrose to an extract beer?

Supposedly cane sugar imparts a "cider like" taste in a beer. Well that lite n fizzy sure tasted like lager and not Cider.
Cane sugar (sucrose) has an unearned bad rap. I refuse to pay for dextrose when table sugar is so cheap and does just as good as others.

"Cheap" is why the big guys use it....

Table or corn sugar will certainly raise the gravity and thin out the beer to make it "lighter".

10-15% is the maximum that I'd suggest without losing a significant amount of malt character.

As Nosy said any more and you're heading towards the seltzer.

Have you considered using flaked rice or corn?
I feel like the results are better in the end.
Good luck and let us know how it comes out
Cheers,
Brian

Have you considered using flaked rice or corn?
That will lighten the body/flavor overall, but it really won't "dry" the beer out. Rice and corn convert to mostly maltose, which is good, but when I use rice it's not the same as table sugar. Case and point would be a Belgian Triple.

That will lighten the body/flavor overall, but it really won't "dry" the beer out. Rice and corn convert to mostly maltose, which is good, but when I use rice it's not the same as table sugar. Case and point would be a Belgian Triple.
Using sugar to thin out a Trippel is a different approach than using corn to make American Lager. The sugar helps make the Trippel less syrupy, the corn or rice is simply cheaper than barley. Corn provides more flavor than rice and maltose is completely fermentable.
So as with most things brewing, the answer is, you guessed it, it depends on what you want to do.

The sugar helps make the Trippel less syrupy
AKA: dries the beer out. By adding sugar you raise the OG and lower in FG at the same time compared to the same beer without sugar.
Corn provides more flavor than rice and maltose is completely fermentable
Doesn't really drive down FG due to the dextrin associated with the starch conversion. Unlike sugar, which is completely fermentable and can actually drive the FG below 1.000
corn or rice is simply cheaper than barley
That's actually a myth about American lagers and adjuncts in general, more often than not, it's more expensive than malt. The reason it was added was to lower the protein content of the beer for clarity, not as a cost savings. As early as the late 1800's, American breweries (mostly ran by German immigrants) bragged that their beer was "chill proof". The result was a beer that was brightly clear, light and delicate. The American Lager was born, an American version of the Pilsner.

My experience has been that if I were to brew a beer with say 10# of Pilsen malt vs. 8# Pilsen malt and 2# flaked Rice, the Beer with rice will always attenuate more. So, drier beer.
Usually at least 2 points.
Now if I Brew a heavy adjunct beer like a Wit, that might be 50% flaked wheat, I end up mashing longer to insure conversion and also end up with higher attenuation, but I attribute that to the longer mash and not the adjunct.
I think sugar has its place, but on smaller beers, I'll avoid it if I can achieve my goal without it.
Cheers
Brian

Back