Corn sugar question

Shady Lane Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I've been using 3/4 of a cup of corn sugar to carbonate a 5-gallon batch of beer. My next batch is 6.4 gallons. Will the same amount of corn sugar work? If I'm reading it right, the Brewer's Friend calculator says it will, which makes me wonder if I've been using too much in the past. Any thoughts?

I usually did 5oz for 5 gallons. No idea how much 3/4 cup comes out to. It depends on how carbonated you want it. 1.8 vols vs 2.2 vol etc

I would use the calc and see, adjust from there

I've been using 3/4 of a cup of corn sugar to carbonate a 5-gallon batch of beer. My next batch is 6.4 gallons. Will the same amount of corn sugar work? If I'm reading it right, the Brewer's Friend calculator says it will, which makes me wonder if I've been using too much in the past. Any thoughts?
My friend Google says 3/4 cup is 6 ounces. That's what made me wonder if I was using too much for a 5-gallon batch. Three-quarters of a cup is the recommended amount in Papazian's Complete Joy of Home Brewing. Now I'm questioning everything, including the meaning of life.

Did you like the beer?

Yes---> Ya done good. Add more sugar for the 6.5 gallon batch.

No --> ya thought it was too bubbly, add the same 3/4 cup for the 6.5 gallon batch and see if it calms down a bit.

Did you like the beer?

Yes---> Ya done good. Add more sugar for the 6.5 gallon batch.

No --> ya thought it was too bubbly, add the same 3/4 cup for the 6.5 gallon batch and see if it calms down a bit.
Good point. I did like the beer, had no problem with the carbonation level on any of them.

I worked them back to gr/ltr and both amounts look fine to me (5.5 and 7.4 gr/ltr).
I use 6 to 8 gr/ltr
And @west1m is totally right ;)

Back