Cooling Shrinkage

Wagging Stumps

Trial Member
Reaction score
If I use a plate chiller will I have "Cooling Shrinkage" as defined by Brewers Friend in the equipment profile? I typically flame out and about 5 min later I start running it through the chiller.I leave the lid on so there is not a lot of evaporation.

there will always be evaporation even after flame out, and in my case it seems to be greater evaporation with a wider opening pot and I seem to loose more that I think the last 5 minutes, I use a plate chiller but I do not try to fight it, its just going to happen if you have any open vessel , boil kettle or fermentation vessel, flame on or off until that liquid reaches below 80 its probably going to evaporate

if you try to encase the steam you can get off flavors so just make more volume and account for the losses
:mrgreen:

erdenbrau said:
If I use a plate chiller will I have "Cooling Shrinkage" as defined by Brewers Friend in the equipment profile? I typically flame out and about 5 min later I start running it through the chiller.I leave the lid on so there is not a lot of evaporation.

Yes, everybody gets this, it has to do with physics. The cooling shrinkage is the volume change that happens as the wort goes from boiling to room temp. The hotter liquid takes up more volume. It only comes into play in brew log entries where you check the Temperature Correction checkbox and enter the actual temp.

Ah...more thermal expansion/contraction than evaporation. makes sense, thanks!

Back