Cooling Shrinkage

Dustydust

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have my equipment profile set to 4% cooling/shrinkage. When I go to print out my recipe, I don't see any reference to the cooling. 4% is a quite a bit of volume to drop, so I'm not sure if this is throwing off the recipe's calculations.

When I run the numbers, it doesn't appear to be using the value. Am I missing something here, or is this value not used anywhere?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    19.8 KB · Views: 39
Hey @Dustydust

That particular equipment setting variable is only used at the moment in the brew session outputs for "temperature correction" for particular log entries for measuring volume/gravity for measured preboil volume for example.

You can get some more specific information on this below, but I am going to put in a ticket for myself to update the description in the equipment profile so it's more clear.
https://docs.brewersfriend.com/faq/brew-sessions#brewsessions10

In the future at some point we'll consider adjusting recipe volumes, but I know that opens it's own can of worms and generally simpler is better.

Thanks for your response. I've been recording the ending kettle volume after it has been cooled. It would seem I should be measuring that before it has been chilled.

Thanks for your response. I've been recording the ending kettle volume after it has been cooled. It would seem I should be measuring that before it has been chilled.

You can measure it either way, just make sure you enter the temperature at which you're measuring and enter that temperature in the brew log!

For the QWR volumes, and recipe volumes in the recipe builder, these are always referencing room temperature.

When I saw this thread I thought it was a reference to a Seinfeld episode. :D

Back