Converting the 'Avg. Perfect Northeast IPA'

Brewer #88351

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm converting the 'Avg. Perfect Northeast IPA (NEIPA)', so it's 1) metric , 2) BIAB, 3) scaled down in size for my equipment and 4) adapted for the efficiency I generally get.

Here's the original:

Avg. Perfect Northeast IPA (NEIPA) - https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/363082/avg-perfect-northeast-ipa-neipa-

Whilst converting, the colour and IBU changed and I wanted to get a second opinion on the adapted recipe before going ahead.

My adaptation:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/989783/avg-perfect-northeast-ipa-neipa-

Does this look ok, or has something gone wrong when converting? Any tips or tricks appreciated!

Thanks

I generally don't worry about the colour as long as the hazy stays gold "ish" and not mud brown and I find IBU to be subjective. IBU can be changed by everything from pH to malt bill to water volumes so I wouldn't worry about a few points change in IBU. I know about how many IBU I like so I stick to that give or take. That said, your conversion looks like it will do the job but you may be a little light in your math.

I am not a mathematician and prefer simple simple simple. BUT, if I were to convert a recipe I would ignore the #'s and grams of the grain bill until the end. I go with % of fermenter volume to start and that seems to simplify things. The original fermenter vol. is 21.75 Lt (converted) and you want 17 Litre which is 78% of the original recipe. Your pre-volume is 65% if you want to use that ratio instead but the pre-volume has too many variables (heat, boil time, grain volume absorbed, wind speed during boil, trub volume prior to ferm. transfer, etc) which changes everything so, personally, I would still go with fermenter volume. Either way, as long as your consistent with whatever you choose you are likely okay.

For the primary grain, he/she uses 4.88 kg (converted) pale 2-row so I would use 3.80 kg pale 2-row, which is 78% of the original 4.88 kg weight, for 17 ltr recipe. Etc, Etc, for the rest of the bill. You have 3.30 kg which is an entire pound/454 g difference from my calculations, which will change the flavor so you will have to decide whose/which calculations you are more comfortable with.

Sooooo basically, I would just use the weight of each ingredient of the original recipe multiplied by which ever ratio you like. For fermenter volume it is 78% or 0.78 x (ingredient).

Of course, that's just me and unless I am trying to repeat perfection I don't worry all that much about perfect numbers, most of the time.

Back