Contests

MrBIP

Premium Member
Reaction score
Sooo, I entered four beers in the Michigan Beer Cup this year. Didn't place with any of them .. but
Average score across all four 36.2 (tightly grouped -- 34.5 to 37.3).
Average scores of top 10 brewers over the past two years ranged from 37-41 (3 to 9 beers).
So seems I'm close? Seems by that, I'm making some good beer.
Not that it matters in the end, I brew what I like, and I like what I brew... and the people I share with like it, but it's nice to get good scores from these occasional contests.

I like to enter a couple beers in a contest every year, just to get the feedback from the judges. However I think sometimes the beer doesn't travel well, as I've gotten some feedback that just didn't seem to match the beer I sent. Maybe I just grabbed the 2 bad bottles of the batch to send in, which would be my luck, but then again, who knows how it's handled on the way there.

Just got my results from the Colorado State Fair - one bronze and the beer scored a 44! It was a Schwarzbier, probably my signature brew. I figure given all the variables in competitions, finishing in the medals is good enough to state the beer is good.

Nosybear said:
Just got my results from the Colorado State Fair - one bronze and the beer scored a 44! It was a Schwarzbier, probably my signature brew. I figure given all the variables in competitions, finishing in the medals is good enough to state the beer is good.

Congrats on that bronze.....

Yes, variables, I always wonder ..... I may volunteer to help judge next year if they are advertising for that help again. They put "novices" with BJCP certified judges, so maybe get a feel for what they are getting, looking for .. and the variables.

I've done a couple of contests and intend to pursue BJCP certification. The thing I notice is that after tasting enough beers, you really begin to lose your palate. Particularly if you're judging the IPAs. So what happens is you notice and disqualify the off-flavored beer and trust me, if you want to learn to taste off flavors, beer judging is the place to do so. Then, your palate nuked by all those off-flavored beers, the strongly flavored beer tends to be the one that shines through, even if the style is a subtle one like blonde ales and pilsners. And I do brew subtly flavored, clean beers so I'm at a disadvantage if mine shows up later in the flight. Sometimes the judge has a distorted picture of the styles: You drink a Kolsch in Germany and it's fruity, yet some judges here seem to want a pseudo-lager. There are many, many variables and having been one, I sympathize with the judges. It's a hard job.

for the novice a good way to tell off flavors is let it get warm to room temperature then drink it, the cold can mask all flavors especially subtle off flavors

Ozarks Mountian Brew said:
...the cold can mask all flavors ...

Yessir, which is why the fizzy yellow add-junks advertise/sell cold cold cold. Don't want to have anyone actually taste that stuff. :shock:

I keep the beer fridge at 47.. seems to be a good middle ground for multiple styles.

One more variable I suppose in contests. No idea how beers submitted are stored before hand and handled during.

Back