Cone vs. Pellet - Which leads to less trub after boil and how to combat the "gunk"

LindyBrew

Premium Member
Reaction score
My past few brew sessions i've used pellets instead of cones. I'm testing the idea that maybe pellets give up more of their AA's during boil than cones simply because there is more surface area of a dissolved pellet being exposed to the boil. What I've noticed is that I have a METRIC TON of trub after the boil AND i seem to lose a lot more liquid during the boil than i have using cones in the past. When it comes time to transfer to my fermentor I can't stand to leave so much liquid in the kettle so i just dump it into the fermenter to settle over time so i can rack off the good stuff later.

Anyone experienced this same thing and been able to stick with pellets while finding a solid way to separate the wort from the gunk?

My past few brew sessions i've used pellets instead of cones. I'm testing the idea that maybe pellets give up more of their AA's during boil than cones simply because there is more surface area of a dissolved pellet being exposed to the boil. What I've noticed is that I have a METRIC TON of trub after the boil AND i seem to lose a lot more liquid during the boil than i have using cones in the past. When it comes time to transfer to my fermentor I can't stand to leave so much liquid in the kettle so i just dump it into the fermenter to settle over time so i can rack off the good stuff later.

Anyone experienced this same thing and been able to stick with pellets while finding a solid way to separate the wort from the gunk?
There’s a few of us that transfer everything from the Boil Kettle to the Fermenter, me included. I use a hop filter between the BK and the FV to catch the hop debris, etc. no wort is left behind!

I have a nylon bag I clamp to the side of the kettle that floats all the hops in it. It keeps most of the hop crud out of the fermentor, but honestly I don't put a lot of energy into keeping it separated otherwise.

You can always just cold crash and gelatin the beer when fermentation is done to handle the leftovers.

Cone hops are easier to remove, harder to transfer. Pellet hops take up less volume and absorb less wort. I use a stainless steel hop screen to keep the debris out of the kettle. And as others have mentioned above, nothing wrong with just dumping them into the fermentor.

Either buy or build yourself a hop spider to keep most of the pellet debris contained. Anything to hang a paint strainer bag in the kettle. Larger bags allow for higher utilization.Once the boil is done you can let the spider drain into the kettle as you bring the wort to a boil, thus recovering most of the utilization lost by bagging.

Dump it all into fermentor in two weeks time after primary and a bit of conditioning / cold crashing youll get to rack your beer off the top of all the trub into kegnor bottleing bucket where i think it matters to have no trub.

No one likes seeing floaties in their beer!

Back