Common mistakes made by Homebrewers

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Brewing Bad series by David Heath.
I though this would be a good video series to share in the beginners forum.
FYI, these videos include advertisements.
Each video is roughly 6 minutes and includes links to more detailed videos on each subject.
There are currently 5 videos, I will include each video in a separate post with a list of what is covered for convenience.

Please don't post any comments until I have posted all 5 videos.

upload_2021-2-27_10-48-11.png

Part 1 subjects covered
- doughing in
- grain crush
- equipment quality
- temperature control of fermentation
- storage of ingredients
- recipe adjustments for available ingredients

Part 2 subjects covered
- whirlpool hop addition temperature options
- stirring in hop additions
- yeast pitch rate
- cleaning and sanitation
-

Part 3 subjects covered
- water (the deep subject)
- use of dry yeast - aeration, and rehydration
- how to pronounce wort... who cares really wert, wort, just not wart...

Part 4 subjects covered
- Oxidization
- Pressure fermentation (overuse)
- Rice Hulls (overuse)

Part 5 subjects covered
- mash temperature (functionality and timing)
- 90 minute boil?
- yeast nutrients
- Grainfather G30 false bottom

As noted David has advertisements in these videos.
He is also promoting his Facebook Group towards the end of each video.
In spite of this I believe that these videos can be very beneficial as references for Novice Brewers.
This may also be helpful for the more experienced brewers to make reference to when offering advice to the newer brewers.

The biggest mistake I see (and hear) from beginners is failure to know what the basic priorities in brewing are. The second is to try something too complicated out of the gate. Example: Kolsch is the easiest beer in the world to brew, at its essence a SMASH of German pilsner malt and noble hops, Spalt, generally, or Perle. But it's difficult to ferment without temperature control.

But hey, answering their questions keeps me thinking, and that's a good thing.

Consider this an "adjunct" to learning:D

Been a member of the fb group for a long time. I don't know that I've ever posted to it, but great source nonetheless.

Been a member of the fb group for a long time. I don't know that I've ever posted to it, but great source nonetheless.
I posted a video last night, with some AC/DC for entertainment, check it out!

Bah! I've made no mistakes! This week... err today.

I just thought that I would share the latest Brewing Bad video posted by David Heath.
This is Part # 7, I will look up and post Part #6 shortly
New video covers
- water quality, chlorine, pH, salts
- full batch first time recipes (he squeezes the bag in his small batch example)
- yeast flavor under pressure

Part # 6
Topics covered
- sparge temperature
- serving temperature
- using olive oil in fermentation as an alternate to aerating wort
- kveik yeast misunderstandings & yeast nutrients

Mistake #80217: Not researching your 'new' yeast. Diastaticus for a wheat beer, WB06. Instead of hefeweitzen I'm gonna end up with Berliner Weiss :(
Dang!

Mistake #80217: Not researching your 'new' yeast. Diastaticus for a wheat beer, WB06. Instead of hefeweitzen I'm gonna end up with Berliner Weiss :(
My first brew was supposed to be a hefeweizen but it's since become known as the nefeweizen. My problem was the grain bill, specifically LME I was using. I got desirable enough results out of the WLP300. Pitched into 5 gallons, no starter and I actually got decent banana flavor out of it. About to do a dunkleweizen with WY3068, excited to see how that comes out

@SabreSteve I've had good results with that, and slightly better with WLP 300. I suggest fermenting at the upper end of the range, like 66 or 68 F (19/20C).

Back