Cold Crashing

UB2

Trial Member
Reaction score
Does cold crashing leave enough yeast in suspension to work on priming sugar, or is it necessary to keg and carbonate?

Cold crashing prematurely causes the yeast to drop out before they've finished. The end result will be diacetyl but you won't taste it then. The yeast are digesting a diacetyl precursor. Do a forced diacetyl test before cold crashing - heat the beer to about 140° for about 30 minutes and let it cool. If you taste diacetyl, the precursor is still in your beer.

it really depends on when you do it and if its the primary or secondary and if there is any dry hopping involved and for how long and how cold , lot of ands I know. The main reason to cold crash is to drive the yeast and other large particles to the bottom and clear the beer so if you bottle only, cold crashing may not be your best bet. its best used for kegging

I will tell you by my experience if you cold crash at just fridge temps from the primary for 2 or 3 days the answer will be yes, there will be enough to carbonate in a bottle but remember you will need to bring the wort back to room temperature before you bottle it or bottle it and then bring it to room temperature to carbonate

you will also need to make sure fermentation is completely done , seal the carboy completely "no airlock" to avoid funky tastes

if your not a fan of yeast in your beer like me, I hate the taste and more importantly hate so many farts because I drink sugar in my coffee which the yeast love, I have developed this process to get rid of most if not all in my final beer.

I ferment my wort for 10 or so days or if the final gravity is correct, I then take that primary carboy and put it in the fridge, take the stopper out and put in a solid plug. Leave it for 2 to 3 days then use the auto siphon and pull the beer into a secondary, sealed lid, I then add gelatin and leave that for 3 or so days after which I auto siphon into a keg, then purge oxygen and carbonate normally with c02

it clears the beer, takes out the yeast and more important the house smells better lol

I do bottle, but from the keg after carbonated using a device made for bottling from the keg

Key remains don't do it too soon. Wait until the yeast have finished their job. Don't trust the calendar, the airlock or your gut. Test with the hydrometer and if your beer's still cloudy or you're not sure the yeast are finished, do the forced diacetyl test. I see the reason for cold-crashing, I get that part. Unless you like hot buttered beer, let the yeast finish before cold crashing. Even if you're kegging, letting the yeast finish will result in a better beer than forcing them out of suspension too early.

Back