Cold Crashing, Dry Hopping, Primary/Secondary?

We were just having a discussion about dry hopping on another forum and apparently some literature sugests the dry hop is best done while the beer is still fermenting. I usually do it when it slows down but some are advocating at high kraussen or even when pitching yeast. Some members are trying it now and I think I may give it a go myself.
Two brewers, three opinions.... I generally stick to the dry-hop-when-fermenting routine when I dry hop. I usually don't - don't like the flavor of uncooked hops.

Ive also read that dry hopping too early slows down fermentation and even stalled in some testing

When I use to cube I would throw in hops on transfer I was a bit more willy nilly then but I didn't find any adverse affects on the beers.

it really depends on how much, some dry hopping takes 3 to 6 ounces

Yea too true all them hops floating around the top of the brew might get in the way of an complete fermentation.
There was only a point in difference between them two brews that brulosopher was experimenting on but that bio transformation is hopped at high krausen.

I must admit it's been awhile since ive brewed a nice hoppy pale ale :rolleyes: most my beers I've brewed recently have been more malt focused.

i'll be putting together a no chill IPA tomorrow for my assistant brewer , i won't have time to ferment it out so lucky guy gets the first batch off my new used urn
with the quantity of hops now sitting around in freezer i'll make sure he gets a big dry hop to go along with the cube ....even giving him a pre made starter

talk about spoiling him

Back