Cold Crash Timing

Donoroto

Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Reaction score
I've always cold crashed my ales in the fermenter "as fast as possible", but today I read in Palmer's How To Brew that a lager should be cold crashed no more than 10 degrees a day. Something about keeping the yeast from dying off too quickly.

Lager brewers: How fast do you cold crash?

I've always cold crashed my ales in the fermenter "as fast as possible", but today I read in Palmer's How To Brew that a lager should be cold crashed no more than 10 degrees a day. Something about keeping the yeast from dying off too quickly.

I usually go from 50ish to 38(cold as my glycol will get) in 2 days on a ramp from my controller

This is typically done by lowering the temperature of the beer to around 35-40°F and holding it there for a period of time, usually anywhere from 24-72 hours.

I think part of it is also related to where you're at with your FG.
If the yeast are finished and have gone through a long enough D-rest, then I think dropping quickly is fine.

I drop as fast as the refrigerator can cool wort to refrigerator temperature once I transfer. I only cold crash before if the garage is cold

I think it also has something to do with the sanitizer being sucked back though the airlock with the change in pressure. I did about 10 degrees a day in the fermenter. When I kegged and drained everything from the fermenter with no more airlock involved, as fast as it would drop.
I just kicked the Pre Pro yesterday :( I enjoyed the living hell out of it while it lasted.

I only crash in the keg so I’m an outlier
I ferment in a keg and crash in a keg, so your not such an outlier. The faster the better, the yeast clears faster when crashed quickly. As the Beer Mentor said, once the yeast is done there is no need to keep it in suspension.

I think the idea of slowly cooling a beer comes from the Germans. They start dropping before hitting final gravity, so in that case, it's important to keep the yeast in suspension. For me, I just wait until it's done. Lagers take about 2 weeks, ales 1-2 weeks depending on gravity. Some of the information in Palmers book is a little dated or inaccurate, but it's still a pretty good book.

Don't sweat it Don, just have a beer and forget about it.

I ferment in a keg and crash in a keg, so your not such an outlier. The faster the better, the yeast clears faster when crashed quickly. As the Beer Mentor said, once the yeast is done there is no need to keep it in suspension.

I think the idea of slowly cooling a beer comes from the Germans. They start dropping before hitting final gravity, so in that case, it's important to keep the yeast in suspension. For me, I just wait until it's done. Lagers take about 2 weeks, ales 1-2 weeks depending on gravity. Some of the information in Palmers book is a little dated or inaccurate, but it's still a pretty good book.

Don't sweat it Don, just have a beer and forget about it.
Oh yeah. I went through a three day crash anyway, even though sg was stable for four days. All good, known for next time.

Back