Coffee Pot vs Erlenmeyer Flask

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Grumblebunny, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Grumblebunny

Grumblebunny New Member

Hello,

I'm considering using a commercial glass coffee pot ($9 - the kind you see at your local pancake house) for making a yeast starter. A 12 cup pot should hold roughly 2.1 liters (assuming 6 ounce "cups") so I could make a 1 liter starter no problem. Other than the cost considerations ($22 for a 2000ml flask), I think the coffee pot will be easier to fill and clean. The bottom is still flat so I can use my stirplate, too.

Is this a crazy idea?

2. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    just need to roughly seal the top opening to keep unwanted pests out

3. GernBlanston

GernBlanston New Member

I'm not sure the yeast will go through the filter.

4. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    Ive actually tried this lol ....made wort for starters in my coffee pot using a screen "all grain" and it worked.....but had to run it through 5 or 6 times

but....didn't count on the sugary mess afterwards, won't be doing that again :D

5. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you're using the coffee pot for the flask, not to boil the wort and not running the wort through the coffee machine (something I'd recommend against - the water doesn't get that hot in those things)? If so, go ahead, it'll be just as good as the fancy conical Erlenmeyer (although you do get points deducted for coolness). I've done starters on the stir plate in growlers - all you need is a container with a flat bottom and a top you can loosely seal to keep outside bacteria and yeast out. Advantage to the flask: You can heat your starter wort directly in it, sanitizing both at the same time. See if you can find a Pyrex coffee pot you can heat on the stove and you've conquered the flask problem!