CO2 tank rust sensitivity for flavor

Brewer #334545

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I bought 2 used 20lb CO2 tanks and recently got them hydro tested.
the guy who tested them said the inside are fairly rusty and i should get the insides spun.
I am dropping them off to a scuba shop to get it done. but will that be enough? is some rust allowable in the tank? is this a short term solution?
just something i don't want to have to be constantly worrying about.
i was thinking about carbonating a keg of water first before ruining a batch a beer.
what are your thoughts?

thanks,

-Will

Once the tank is cleaned, it will need oxygen to rust. I can't imagine that the tank would rust again unless it was allow to go completely empty and than somehow get enough oxygen in there to rust the steel. If there is rust in the tank, will it dissolve into the cO2 and will it be able to get stay in the evaporated cO2 that exits the tank? I doubt it. I think your fine. I 've never heard of any beer ruined by a rusty tank.

Short answer, no. Rust is not volatile. But I am curious as to how it got there: There should NEVER be oxygen, even air, in a CO2 tank.

I just swap the tank at the welding supply shop when it goes empty so I have no idea what is in any of them. So far it has worked fine though.

Back