Cloudy / Hazy beers

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by tommouk, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Dirty Horse

Dirty Horse New Member

Hi

I have been home brewing for just under a year now and still very much in the experimentation stage.

I have used the same method and equipment throughout, but recently my last few brews have become really hazy when poured.

The last batch was a hoppy american style IPA (Magnum, chinhook, Columbus, Centennial). After the boil I put the stock pan I use out in the garden into a foot of snow to chill rather than the usual ice bath - thinking surely this is the best way to chill the wort down.

I then used a packet of finings bought from my local homebrew shop which I used once fermentation has finished.

3 weeks later I poured my first bottle (a tad on the bitter side but tasty) and it was hazy. This wasn't attributed
    to sediment as i was careful to keep the vast majority in the bottle.

Any ideas what could have caused this?

2. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    hoppy beers are not clear for most home brewers so your not alone but a couple of ways to get a clear beer is Irish moss in the boil, cold crashing at 34ish for a week or gelatin while cold crashing, this is all done before carbonation if you bottle and is easier if you keg, I can explain further if needed

3. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

You can also do some research on chill haze.