cloudy beer

kaspar&piet

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just brewed a small batch of an IPA and it happened the second time that the wort stayed cloudy after the boil and cooling down. I have read a lot about hot and cold break and have noticed the effect in former brew sessions. I think - but am not sure - it did not happen in this brew, even though I had a good rolling boil going for 90 minutes and cooled the wort down in about 20-25 minutes. Could this happen? I mean no hot and no cold break? Is there anything else I could have done wrong?

I know that it will probably not effect the taste and quality of the beer, but I am just curious.

Everything else came out fine so far. 3.6 Gallons in the fermentor, so I have to adjust the boil off rate a little. And OG came out lower at 1.062.

Here is the recipe:

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Crew Clone

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 3.2 Gallons (fermentor volume)
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.068
Final Gravity: 1.019
ABV (standard): 6.43%
IBU (tinseth): 58.99
SRM (morey): 12.97

FERMENTABLES:
2000 g - German - Pilsner (59.7%)
650 g - German - Munich Light (19.4%)
200 g - German - CaraAroma (6%)
250 g - Flaked Oats (7.5%)
250 g - Cane Sugar (7.5%)

HOPS:
10 g - Summit, Type: Pellet, AA: 18.5, Use: First Wort, IBU: 26.27
10 g - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 9.94
5 g - Motueka, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 4.97
30 g - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 17.81
25 g - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 0 min

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temperature, Temp: 118 F, Time: 30 min
2) Temperature, Temp: 152 F, Time: 90 min
3) Temperature, Temp: 172 F, Time: 15 min, Mash out
Starting Mash Thickness: 3 L/kg

Cheers,
kaspar&piet

Did you say that you saw no hot break? If that's the case I wonder if your mash/sparge temps to high and the hot break sort of started in your mash or sparge. Check your thermometer. That's just a starting point.

I'm no a 100% sure there was hot break, but I think so. I skimmed some stuff off the top. But there definitely was no cold break.

The thermometer is correct as fa as I know.

its the oats, nothing about oats is clear lol, you just have to let it settle or condition longer or filter

Ozarks Mountian Brew said:
its the oats, nothing about oats is clear lol, you just have to let it settle or condition longer or filter

Very interesting indeed - I too have a very cloudy IPA that used a bit of oats. Only a week into fermentation so I will ask about cold crashing, will this help clear it up enough or should I just not worry about it and skip the oats next time?

oats never seems to clear for me, even filtering, just drink it cloudy and enjoy

Back