Cleaning...

Ha! This made me laugh.

OK, look at these coordinates, which is her 'neighborhood'.
16.15794° S, 28.83963° E

Think the mailman visits, ever?
Close, I'm about 15-20 km from there ;)

Thanks all for helping!
Much appreciated.
Mail is totally unreliable here (in the whole country). We tend to use couriers.

Using Google Earth I am sure some of the surrounding areas could get a delivery in a reasonable time. Probably faster than waiting on a trip to Europe or South Africa. Where did the Lat / Long coordinates originate from? Took a quick look and shipping would be much more than $40 USD give or take. Might take a week or two, but not an impossible task with a valid address.
Pure guesswork. It's the correct river in the correct country. :D

Reviving this thread.
Standard cleaning has (hopefully) been solvedby someone bringing in a small bottle of starsan. 250 ml, but at the usage rate, it should last a long time.

Now, in another thread, I mentioned that I had an infection in my speidel fermenter.
I've cleaned it with non scented dish washer (teepol), rinsed, dried etc.

Then treated with puro oxi
Screenshot_20221224-125701.png

Followed by a spray with this stuff
IMG_20221225_155056.jpg

Rinsed several times, then dried. Can't smell it anymore.

Now I want to follow up with Milton, or a combo of Milton & citric acid or white vinegar.
But what rate?
Bottle mentions 12.5 ml per litre for sterilising baby stuff.
Parker mentions chlorine at 4 ml per litre.

My bottle milton has 1% sodium hypochlorite & 16.5 % sodium chloride

Surely nothing can survives after that?

Gee, you face some tricky problems don't you? We use peracetic (vinegar) as our terminal sterilant at 0.5%, the smell of it always worries me so I always chase it out with a tiny bit of beer/cider to get rid of the aroma. Not sure if that's needed but that's my process and it works.

Don't know about the other stuff, good luck sorting it all out.

I do have (and can get) methylated spirit.
Would that be an idea for a final clean ( rinsing afterwards etc)

On the other hand:
I've been checking chemipro oxi online and seen mentioned a number of times that it is a disinfectant.
So maybe I've done enough?

Last edited:
I do have (and can get) methylated spirit.
Would that be an idea for a final clean ( rinsing afterwards etc)

On the other hand:
I've been checking chemipro oxi online and seen mentioned a number of times that it is a disinfectant.
So maybe I've done enough?
The stuff with the sodium hypochlorite 1% (bleach) will kill everything. Just rinse well. Nothing more really needed, since you have scrubbed to remove physical particles already. Dilute it if you cannot easily spray it as it is, maybe 10:1. You only need a half liter at most, just splash it around a lot inside and rinse, rinse, rinse. Let it air-dry.

Methylated spirits are not the best idea, as it is poisonous, so don't use that. Ever.

StarSan does last a long time and 250 ml will go very far. Don't discard it until it gets cloudy! While it does not kill yeast, it murders bacteria. (The yeast is killed by the bleach).

I don't sterilize equipment every time, but every so often. If I don't use iodophor, I use bleach. With bleach, a thorough rinsing is absolutely essential. I often use hot water to do that.

Yeah, I know methylated spirits aren't for consumption, but I figured it could be okay for a good clean. It will evaporate anyway.
Then several rinses of water and star san before actual use.

I'm only going through this whole process because of infection.
Standard is a good clean with hot water.
Unscented dishwasher if necessary.

Then star san just before use

Just decided to go with my milton.
1 or 2 ltr solution. Shake rattle and roll for a minute or so, repeated with 3 minute interval or so, till I get to a contact time of 20 minutes.
Drain out via spigot on the airlock (just in case).
Rinse, rinse and rinse some more
Drip dry...

And the story continues...
My milton doesn't smell of anything, so I may just have shaken it all about for 20 minutes for nothing

Been to the shops and now got
Iodine (iodine bp 2.5 % / potassium iodine 2.5%
Isopropyl alcohol / ethanol cleaner
Chlorine (3.5% hypochlorite)

No longer looking for standard cleaning but at cleaning after an infection (hdpa speidel)

No longer looking for standard cleaning but at cleaning after an infection (hdpa speidel)
that should do it!

I had a horrible run with infections and it almost broke my will to brew; keep the faith buddy!

My routine is cold chlorine for an initial clean/rinse. Hot caustic which should kill just about everything, followed by a cold rinse that will always re-introduce some nasties from the tap water, and then a re-circ during the boil which seems to really work.

The fermenters get the chlorine, the caustic, the rinse and a perecitic spray. All the fittings come off as well, it's a proper pain but dumping beer is a much bigger pain.

Before filling, the fermenters get a 'sting' with hot wort to chase out the perecitic.

Haven't lost a batch in 2022 using that routine.

I think you face some fairly unique problems out there so am not sure what may be of help. I'm sure our climate helps because even the bugs don't want to live up here :)

You'ld be surprised with what thrives at these temperatures! And we are in the rainy season.
Ideal circumstances for fungi, bacteria & mosquito's & other little critters!

But I'll beat them !

That's what I was meaning, the warm climate will be a haven for bugs. We don't have the same problem.

Rainy season is interesting on the bug front too. I've been visiting SE Asia for a good few years now and one of the eraly lessons was not to eat food that has been rained on. A pharmacist told me that and it's stuck with me, rainwater in that part of the world is filthy - not sure ours is much better - and you don't want it in your food. Or on your brewing vessels I guess.

Much as I love SE Asia, luckily we are not nearly aa densily populated ;)
And our rains are not like the monsoon rains. Lot of dry in between.

Back to cleaning: I'ved one oxi & that ammonium chloride thing posted above.
I think I'll just do a chlorine one as well and then starsan just before use.
Then a small simple cider batch to check, before going back to beer

Much as I love SE Asia, luckily we are not nearly aa densily populated ;)
And our rains are not like the monsoon rains. Lot of dry in between.

Back to cleaning: I'ved one oxi & that ammonium chloride thing posted above.
I think I'll just do a chlorine one as well and then starsan just before use.
Then a small simple cider batch to check, before going back to beer

Is it possible for you to use heat? Like stripping fittings off vessels and then getting them to pasteurising temps?

Is it possible for you to use heat? Like stripping fittings off vessels and then getting them to pasteurising temps?
It's a speidel hdpe plastic
I've washed with hot hot tap water & teepol. Water temp was around 50 oC.
I'm not sure how much it can handle. I'm going to check online

[Just checked. Rating is 60 oC]

Last edited:
Yeah, 60°C isn't going to get it done.
Hopefully you new regiment will take care of it.
After you have it clean, an extended time with an acid should insure any scratches are safe.
Good luck,
Brian

It's a speidel hdpe plastic
I've washed with hot hot tap water & teepol. Water temp was around 50 oC.
I'm not sure how much it can handle. I'm going to check online

[Just checked. Rating is 60 oC]
If it's HDPE it should be good for boiling.

The cubes we use IN Aus for Cubing in no chill are HDPE plastic made for high temperatures.

Try some vinegar/ bleach solutions this has worked for me in an Infection In bucket fermenter in past.

If you use a tap or spigot on that fermenter see if you can take it apart that will most likely be where the Infections at.

@HighVoltageMan! Gave me the info on the vinegar bleach soak solution.

I'm sure it was 1/2 cup of each add vinegar first fill with water before adding the bleach let soak overnight rinse like crazy:)

If it's HDPE it should be good for boiling.

The cubes we use IN Aus for Cubing in no chill are HDPE plastic made for high temperatures.

Try some vinegar/ bleach solutions this has worked for me in an Infection In bucket fermenter in past.

If you use a tap or spigot on that fermenter see if you can take it apart that will most likely be where the Infections at.

@HighVoltageMan! Gave me the info on the vinegar bleach soak solution.

I'm sure it was 1/2 cup of each add vinegar first fill with water before adding the bleach let soak overnight rinse like crazy:)

Separate solutions--don't mix the two. :eek:

Back