Cleaning/Sanitation practices.

This is a shot inside my kettle that brown scum don't move. I give this a scrub and rinse before brewing but I'm sure that brown stuff is more like a protective coating now for the stainless? I'll also scrub her out quick at end then up end her somewhere out the road till next session. Don't mind my dodgey dip tube I didn't kink it but went real close I filled it with sand first as I've herd this helps.;)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    668.4 KB · Views: 112
Yeah the brown stuff is seasoning like an old grog cup. ;) I have the same and don't think its an issue, at least hasn't been up to now. Salt works too if you don't want to use sand when bending copper. For a bit that short, I'd have used something to bend it around like a kitchen pot or paint can but hey, I'm way more a function over flare guy any day, bet it works just fine!

Thats iodine based and you need to make sure its rinsed off well right? I like the Star san cuz its not like that or bleach and can actually drink it (not that I've tried)

Coppied from Wikipedia
Diluted iodophor is often used by brewers and winemakers to sanitize equipment and bottles. Its major advantage over other sanitizers is that when used in proper proportions, it does not require rinsing. However, it can leave unattractive orange-brown stains on plastic parts and equipment if left in contact with them.

Coppied from Wikipedia
Diluted iodophor is often used by brewers and winemakers to sanitize equipment and bottles. Its major advantage over other sanitizers is that when used in proper proportions, it does not require rinsing. However, it can leave unattractive orange-brown stains on plastic parts and equipment if left in contact with them.

I use idophor all the time. Yes it will stain. No you don't need to rinse if mixed properly. It's cheap and easy to mix. I put 1.5gal mix in ferment bucket after cleaning it with a soft rag and detergent. Never use soap. Use dishwashing detergent. Then throw blowoff hoses or vents in bucket also. Transfer to other buckets and slosh around. Sometimes will run through system (RIMS) till reaches boiling to clean out system after rinsed with just hot water. Sometimes just water til close to boiling. The heating elements do need taken out and cleaned between brews but only use BLC or PBW in system every4th or 5th brew or so.

And also TB my boil keggle I just turn that 90 pointed down with no pipe and place a stainless steel scrubber pad under it. Works with the loose leaf hops to form a trub filter when draining. No it has never scorched. What little trub that does get through is caught in a sanitized hop bag on the end of the hose going to fermenter.

Back