cleaning rollets grain mill

Zambi

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
They are caked up :(
And only after a handfull of brews.
I googled and all I can find is wire brush and compressed air. I got neither.
I have taken the mill apart so I can access the rollers easier. I've been busy with an old toothbrush, but patience is wearing thin.
I would like to throw them in hot water, but I'm not sure that is such a good idea.
Any reccommendations?

NB: we are in the rainy season and oir relative humidity is quite high. We have bits and pieces of sun though

IMG_20220122_162755.jpg

If that's really stuck to the rollers it looks like the grain was pretty damp when you milled it. I don't think that hot water's going to do any harm to just the roller if you dry it well after you're done cleaning. Just don't get water in the bearings and the end blocks.

If that's really stuck to the rollers it looks like the grain was pretty damp when you milled it. I don't think that hot water's going to do any harm to just the roller if you dry it well after you're done cleaning. Just don't get water in the bearings and the end blocks.
The front roller is now clean. Ran it under luke warm water and kept going with the tooth brush.
Roller 2 needs to wait till tomorrow as I still need to get it out from the block and I rather wait till the effect of the gin & cranberry has worn off :p

Not sure what happened to the grain. They are in plastic bags, inside pretty well locked buckets/containers

Maybe a soft wire brush?

They are clean now. I used water and toothbrush.
I did think about rice, but didn't use it. I'll sure try it next time!

No horses here in the valley due to tsetse flies. Weevil hair sounds like the best option so far. Or maybe it's the weevils that caused the mess in the first place?

I spray water on the grain before crushing, works amazing., husks intact and their belongings just laying there, all naked and everything!! Two brews ago, put too much h20 in the grains, didn't wait for them to rest before milling, and got sticky grain all over the rollers. Took the mill in the shop and ran a round steel wire brush chucked in a electric drill and let it rip over the rollers!l. Cleaned it up nicely. Let the grain set overnight and tried again, no problem from there on!

I may have a wire brush for my cordless drill!
Never thought of that

Back